What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Are Pests such as Cockroaches & Flies Foreign Objects?

Started by , Nov 18 2011 04:12 AM
11 Replies
Hi;

Here is a question regarding the pests as they are forigen objetcs , What we should determine the Pests found in the food (Cockroaches , flies,etc...

Is it physical contamination or microbiological contamination?

Regards

Hygienic
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allowable Preservative Levels in Foreign Countries (specifically South Korea) Foreign Material Handling for product with meat filling Control of Foreign Material from Carton Box Foreign Material SS Metal Foreign Matter Control Policy
[Ad]
You're finding cockroaches and flies in food?

IMO you should consider them as physical and micobiological hazards for your HACCP plan but if you did have one sent back claiming it was found in some food, it should be considered as a physical contaminant (as that hazard has been proven), if you had an associated illness complaint then it should be recorded as both physical and microbiological.

Pests are physical hazards, but always related to microbiological hazards
Right, Pests are always regarded as foreign objects but are related with microbiological diseases or outbreaks.

Faisal
I agree with the last email
The 'body' is a foreign matter but the micro contamination from the pest would be a micro matter.

If the process would eliminate the micro through cooking etc then you would be left with just the body issue!

good luck!

Hi;
Here is a question regarding the pests as they are forigen objetcs , What we should determine the Pests found in the food (Cockroaches , flies,etc...

Regards

Hygienic

1 Thank
Good Morning,

I would also agree with the comments above.

Pests, i.e. flies and cockroaches are physical foreign bodies (as you can see them), however are also microbiological hazards, due to the associated pathogenic risks associated with them.

Thanks

Simon

Hi;

Regards

Hygienic

Pests are physical contamination and the cause of Biological contamination. Codex refers biological, not microbiological...

Regards,

SM
This reminds me of an example given to us during GMP training: What kind of contamination would hair be? It could be:

• physical (of course)
  • microbiologic (if it wasn´t pasteurized or somehow heat treated along with the product)
  • chemical (if it had hair spray, gel or other hair care products on it).
The point is, rather than dealing with the minutiae of trying to figure out what kind of contamination an insect is, make sure you have a good pest control program in place to avoid any chance of this happening.

1 Thank

This reminds me of an example given to us during GMP training: What kind of contamination would hair be? It could be:

• physical (of course)
  • microbiologic (if it wasn´t pasteurized or somehow heat treated along with the product)
  • chemical (if it had hair spray, gel or other hair care products on it).
The point is, rather than dealing with the minutiae of trying to figure out what kind of contamination an insect is, make sure you have a good pest control program in place to avoid any chance of this happening.

If we had a post of the day award...

Regards,
Simon

If we had a post of the day award...

Regards,
Simon

I'll second that, well said MRios!
Now you´re making me blush! Hahaha!

Similar Discussion Topics
Allowable Preservative Levels in Foreign Countries (specifically South Korea) Foreign Material Handling for product with meat filling Control of Foreign Material from Carton Box Foreign Material SS Metal Foreign Matter Control Policy Foreign body contamination risk assessment plan in shrimp processing? BRC v7 4.10.1.1 Foreign body detection and removal equipment Stored Product Pests Stored Product Pests Stored Product Pests