What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Non-conformance on Lack of Allergen Awareness

Started by , Dec 15 2011 03:24 PM
10 Replies
Hi there,

I have just had a non conformance as key members of staff have not been trained in Allergen awareness. we have allergen control and allergen policy documents. I was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of an allergen awarness template

BR

DianeP
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Leaving Due to Lack of Support and Moral Objections Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin?
[Ad]
If you have an allergen policy and procedure, simply review and train everyone on this policy and add "Allergen Policy" to your training matrix.

Simple as that!

KB
1 Thank
One more thing, make sure you have a sign-off sheet for the employees that were trained.
I'm not sure how much this will help you, but Massachusetts in the last year implemented a first of its kind, statewide Food Allergen Awareness policy.

You can find the details here: http://www.doe.mass....ws.aspx?id=5783

To summarize, there are three parts:
- All food service facilities, must visibly post for their food handlers a food allergen awareness poster, prepared by the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network.
- At least one person at the facility (usually the food protection manager) must be certified as having undergone "Food Allergen Awareness Training." The training consists of being certified as having watched a video on food allergen awareness. The video is available on the web and while not everyone is required to be certified, it is good practice to have all staff view the video.
- A notice to customers with specific wording must be made on the menu or menu boards telling them they are responsible for notifying their server of any allergies.

Not specifically policy but part of the training is that food servers must be made aware of how to handle consumers who report food allergies and only food handlers trained in preventing food allergen cross contamination should handle food for allergic customers.

The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network has extensive resources for food allergen training including a good manual for training front of house and back of house staff.
2 Thanks

If you have an allergen policy and procedure, simply review and train everyone on this policy and add "Allergen Policy" to your training matrix.

Simple as that!

True!
You can also include allergen issues in your annual HACCP/hygiene-training.
1 Thank
One more thing: you may be asked to provide validation of the training that's given to all trainees (e.g. a quiz that's signed by the trainer and trainee).

One more thing: you may be asked to provide validation of the training that's given to all trainees (e.g. a quiz that's signed by the trainer and trainee).

I do this routinely now for all training. 10-12 questions that must be answered with a specified pass requirement that demonstrates the trainee was paying attention (and the trainer i.e. me was effective!). Everyone I train now comes well prepared for this - and with some trepidation so they stay awake!

I do this routinely now for all training. 10-12 questions that must be answered with a specified pass requirement that demonstrates the trainee was paying attention (and the trainer i.e. me was effective!). Everyone I train now comes well prepared for this - and with some trepidation so they stay awake!

That's great! just out of curiosity, what are the concenquences if they fail to pass the test?

That's great! just out of curiosity, what are the concenquences if they fail to pass the test?

Then they have to be retrained!

Dear Cazy,

within what time frame you retrain them?

Till the time they are retrained and pass the exam; do they keep working in the areas?

Thanks

Gourav

I would put them on the next available course for retraining.

You'd have to risk assess if there was a potential hazard of them continuing in that role if they don't understand.

I reference potential scenarios in my top tier training document.

Caz x

Similar Discussion Topics
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Leaving Due to Lack of Support and Moral Objections Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management Allergen Management Plan Lychee Nut Management as an Allergen Allergen Risk Assessment Carryover Non Allergen