What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Test method for packaging powders on auger filled VFFS machines

Started by , Jan 19 2012 07:48 PM
1 Reply
We pack lots of powders into pouches on vertical form fill seal machines (VFFS). These are filled with rotating augers that meter the product into the pouch. Some products run just fine. Some don't.

Some products fuse to the augers or the filler tubes (or both) from friction of rotation. These augers spin at 500-2000 RPM when filling.

I'm trying to find (or in the absence of a standardized test, develop) a testing method to see if a product will run or won't run in the filling equipment without making an entire batch of product.

I'm thinking that a steel block with a hole in it and a corresponding rotating post that fits the hole with tolerances similar to the tolerances we use in our auger/filler tube combo should work.

Put product in the hole, turn on pretend auger (drill press), lower auger into hole. Product moves up the sides of the auger a bit and you hold the auger down for X number of seconds. Lift auger and see if there's any fused product on the sides of the auger or hole.

I'm at a loss.

Help.
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Microbiological Test Standard BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces What does SQF require one to test in the compressed air that has indirect contact with food? Test kit to verify that all sanitizer residues are completely removed BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test?
[Ad]
Can anyone help JPO with this question?

Thanks,
Simon

Similar Discussion Topics
Microbiological Test Standard BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces What does SQF require one to test in the compressed air that has indirect contact with food? Test kit to verify that all sanitizer residues are completely removed BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? If I change the Xray Silicon 4.0 test sample to 8.0 mm will there be any problems? PAA test strips not matching titration results Walnut test frequency Can we test the water used in our facility using water testing kits? Test for determining Milk Fat adulteration in the dairy Industry.