What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Minimum lux values specifications

Started by , Feb 01 2012 03:28 PM
4 Replies
Hello, i am trying to find where there may be minimum lux values that i can refer to for our limits. We have set established limits but have trouble maintaining them with new bulbs, so i thought i should look into industry standards for the minimum values, maybe our values are too high. I can't seem to find any reference to what is recommended or where we got our limits from in the first place. Anyone have an idea where i can find these
thanks
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Minimum weight checks before packaging How many samples need to be taken for minimum weight records? Does there need to be a minimum percentage of olive oil in the product to advertise on the label? Minimum power of a magnet to be considered compliant with the food safety requirements?
[Ad]
There would be a standard procedure that you should be able to purchase online from your Canadian Standards organisation.

For example, in Australia we obtain our standard information from www.standards.org.au but purchase them from
http://infostore.sai...e/default.aspx.

A sample of the procedure is such:

Requirements
  • Lighting is complete with flush mounted or recessed into ceiling shatter-proof protective covering to avoid possible foreign contamination, particularly in:
    • Food processing areas
    • Receival and dispatch
    • All food and packaging storage areas
    • Cleaning areas
  • The lighting system provides sufficient light for food activities thus for clear working visibility
    • 500 lux for food processing and food inspection
    • 300 lux for cleaning, storage, staff amenities
    • Definition: lux = international standard unit of measurement for illumination
  • Where there is natural light used, it is equivalent to the levels of the above artificial lighting

Meets the requirements of
  • AS/NZS 1680.1:2006 Interior & Workplace Lighting: General Principles & Recommendations
  • AS/NZS 1680.2.4.1997 Interior Lighting: Industrial Tasks & Processes
1 Thank
The best guide I have come across is (from UK point) is the CIBSE Code for interior lighting. This give recommended LUX levels for various areas of buidings including inspection. CIBSE = Chartered Istitution of Building Services Engineers, London
1 Thank
Hi Katja: here's the link of the canadian Food inspection agency: See lighting at 3.2.2

http://www.inspectio.../princ/3e.shtml

Beatlevi
1 Like1 Thank
thanks I of course found this after i posted. I must have been having a blond moment... (I am blond so i am allowed to say this)

Similar Discussion Topics
Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Minimum weight checks before packaging How many samples need to be taken for minimum weight records? Does there need to be a minimum percentage of olive oil in the product to advertise on the label? Minimum power of a magnet to be considered compliant with the food safety requirements? Minimum air turns per hour in a processing suite and cold storage suite Minimum acceptable gauss strength of magnets for sugar industry For sanitation is there a minimum water temperature requirement? What does traceability one step back and minimum traceability one step forward mean? Minimum documentation required for ISO 22000 certification