What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can the QA Manager Report to the Financial Controller?

Started by , Feb 07 2012 06:31 PM
6 Replies
Hi there!
I need to find out if the QA Manager can answer to the financial officer/comptroller of the company? I believe that the QA department or responsibilities should be independent from the rest of the company management. Can someone please explain?

Thank you.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SSAFE Risk Assessment Tool (Report Interpretation) New Quality and Food Safety Manager-SQF Practitioner Pest Control Risk Assessment Report Form Does a Quality Manager need to be on site any time production is running? QA Playbook in case of Quality Manager Absence
[Ad]
I don't see any reason why a QA Manager can not report to the Comptroller. The potential conflict would be if a QA Manager was reporting to Production.
1 Thank
I too see no reason why a QA Manager wouldn't report to the Financial Manager.

But really, it depends on your Organisational Chart. Where does the QA Manager & Financial Manager sit?

Amongst other hats, the role of a QA Manager would also include:
  • Statistical and trend analysis
  • Investigation & problem solving
  • Crisis management
  • Safety and quality costs

These elements involve finance. So yes, I believe there should be a relationship between the QA Manager & Financial Manager. To what extent is dependent on your Organisational Chart. The very least, both should be part of the regular management meetings.
1 Thank
The QA manager will in all cases answer to some other senior manager, director or executive officer within any organization. This is not really the issue nor, I suspect, the root of your question.

In the context of food safety and its management within an organization the fact remains that a senior manager can in theory overrule a decision made by the QA manager which may impact on the safety of the product, consumer etc. This is the case whether it is the production manager, financial controller or whomever.

So the issue is not who QA answers to but rather the management systems, reporting lines and authority deployed to the QA manager from the senior officer in the company. This should be clearly defined in the system documentation supported by clear reporting of all management decisions.

For example the system should define clearly who has the authority to release product to the market, particularly in relation to nonconforming product. This is addressed in the BRC standard.

In short, it does not matter who QA reports as long as the management system clearly defines authority for QA to make final decisions of food safety related matters.
3 Thanks
Who doesn't report to the finance controller or Director.

The only rule or GMP is, that quality / technical do not report to Production managers / Directors, as this is where the independent must be.
you can report to finance, Operations or GMs,

Good Luck

Hi there!
I need to find out if the QA Manager can answer to the financial officer/comptroller of the company? I believe that the QA department or responsibilities should be independent from the rest of the company management. Can someone please explain?

Thank you.

1 Thank
For interest in pharmaceutical packaging standard PS 9000 it says the quality department should be independent from production, for the reasons previously mentioned.

Quality Manager: It's not right, it's not safe, we must reject it.
Production Director: I'm not making it again, I've got schedules to meet, it will cost me waste...we'll get away with it, send it.

In reality depending on the organization structure and roles any senior executive could overrule the quality manager (or evidential data) in a bad organization.

Regards,
Simon
1 Thank

For interest in pharmaceutical packaging standard PS 9000 it says the quality department should be independent from production, for the reasons previously mentioned.

Quality Manager: It's not right, it's not safe, we must reject it.
Production Director: I'm not making it again, I've got schedules to meet, it will cost me waste...we'll get away with it, send it.

In reality depending on the organization structure and roles any senior executive could overrule the quality manager (or evidential data) in a bad organization.

Regards,
Simon

Agreed. I've yet to meet a GM who didn't have financial and operational concerns higher up his list than technical ones even if his title is "General Manager". This is partly because nearly all GMs are ex operations in my experience. In answer to the question, I suppose it could cause an issue come audit but in reality I don't think it makes any difference. It's down to culture and to the Technical Manager having enough oomph about them to keep kicking their manager (whoever they are) and reminding them of their responsibilities.

Similar Discussion Topics
SSAFE Risk Assessment Tool (Report Interpretation) New Quality and Food Safety Manager-SQF Practitioner Pest Control Risk Assessment Report Form Does a Quality Manager need to be on site any time production is running? QA Playbook in case of Quality Manager Absence Internal audit report Mock Crisis Report Template Can you refuse an audit if the Quality Manager is not on site? Supplier resistant to providing AIB findings report Corrective and Preventive Action for lack of records caused by Absence of a Quality Manager