What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

BRC 2.3.1 Describe the Product - Origin of ingredient information

Started by , Mar 21 2012 01:28 PM
2 Replies
When retrieving supplier information about the origin of theingredient, is "produced or raised in the country" enough or do weneed to go to city and state?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Any food product naming policy in EU? Product Labelling Guideline - Russia Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces Traceability issue with product receiving? Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine)
[Ad]
Dear jason Young,

Type of product / ingredient ???

Rgds / Charles.C
Section 2.3.1 is about describing the finished product for the purposes of your HACCP plan including ingredients etc. I would not go too far on origin as you should be thinking about "what origins could have an impact on the food safety of the product?"

So, for example, if you were sourcing nori seaweed, you may put extra checks in place if it was from Japan to ensure it was not affected by the radioactivity from the Fukushima power plant but those extra checks may not be as important if it was from the US.

I would suspect the country alone would be enough unless there is a specific concern; as you said city and state I'm assuming you are in the US? So, for example, if you were sourcing shell fish you might want to consider any effects from Deepwater Horizon depending on the state.
1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Any food product naming policy in EU? Product Labelling Guideline - Russia Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces Traceability issue with product receiving? Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine) Dual Label for Single Product (FSANZ & FDA) What approvals and controls do we need from third party processor of our RTE product? Scope of Certification product specific Ingredient risk assesment Repackaging of Food Grade product