What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Acceptable TPC reduction following peracetic acid spray - raw meat

Started by , Sep 06 2012 06:20 PM
2 Replies
We are a small raw meat producer, cutting primals and subprimals cutting portion-controlled steaks etc.

We have added this as a step in our process:
http://www.rossindin...tervention.aspx
http://www.rossindin...and_730-28.aspx

The intervention cabinet sprays Perasan MP-2 on the whole muscle items prior to final fabrication to reduce surface bacteria. The larger pieces are then portion cut ... some of the items are then further procesed in a vacuum tumbler with marinade (making them non-intact according the USDA regulations) and the trim is used in ground beef production.

In order to verify that the spray is effective, our inspector wants regular testing done (once a week) to show the effectiveness of the spray.

I guess I'm sort of stumbling on two points:
A. How to structure the testing program
B. The acceptable demonstrable reduction in TPC

Thoughts? I've done some swabs of the actual product surface before and immediately after being sprayed, and the results are all over the place.
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment What are acceptable limits for compressed air testing for raw frozen beef steaks? Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Acceptable level of Bacillus bacteria in the environment EMP Are black safety shoes acceptable in a food plant?
[Ad]
Can anyone from the meat industry help Marshenko with this query?

Thanks,
Simon
I would start with contacting the manufacturer of the equipment you have in your process. They should have some scientific supporting documentation in the form of a study made demonstrating the efficacy of their machine when used with certain parameters (chemical concentration, pressure, temperature, dwell time, etc). Once you have this published scientific study you can use that as your reference point. If you can demonstrate that you meet the same parameters as in the study there is no need to do any in-house micro analysis (reference attached).

Attached Files

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment What are acceptable limits for compressed air testing for raw frozen beef steaks? Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Acceptable level of Bacillus bacteria in the environment EMP Are black safety shoes acceptable in a food plant? IFS 3.3.3 - What is acceptable as a training signature? Is a signature stamp acceptable for use in the food safety plan? Standard Plate Count acceptable results Acceptable Peroxide Values in Palm Free Stabilizer Color deviation acceptable range