What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

HACCP plan for mollucs (limpets)

Started by , Sep 25 2012 08:01 PM
2 Replies
Colleagues,

I am responsible for the quality and food safety in a seafood plant.

I plan to make a HACCP plan for marine limpets (Patella spp.). Does anyone have any HACCP plan for gastropods? Unlike bivalves (filter feeders), the limpets feeds on algae attached to rocks (scrapers) - similar to sea urchins. However, unlike the sea urchins (only the gonads are consumed) in limpet is the muscle that is consumed.

Upon reception of limpets in the factory (still alive) may have two distinct processes:
1 - kept alive to be sold still alive (remain approx. 4 hours in the factory). As process steps, are packed in boxes with ice.

2 - are arranged in a freezing tunnel, packaging and freezing.

Because they are filter feeders, bivalves go through a purification process (depuration) in the case of limpets will be needed?

All contributions are welcome.

Best regards!

Claudio
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
HACCP/HARPC training Compressor for HACCP HACCP and SQF Certification Implementing HACCP/BRC for a Logistics Company HACCP plan for cold smoked trout
[Ad]
You may find the FDA's Seafood HACCP Guidance of help. Link below

FDA Seafood HACCP

George
1 Thank
Dear Claudio Torres,

As very nicely indicated within previous posted link, yr haccp plan will depend on yr risk assessment of the raw material status, processing steps, environment etc.
I appreciate that limpets are not bivalves however the numerous examples for oysters / clams etc issued by NZ/Australia in last 20 years based on their own local conditions may give you some ideas. Must admit I hv never encountered processing of limpets before.

pp1 - Oyster.doc   219KB   18 downloads
pp2 - FSMS for Live Tasmanian Farmed Bivalve Molluscs.doc   3.82MB   10 downloads
pp3 - NZ guide_hazard-assist_application.pdf   409.46KB   20 downloads
pp4 - Australia - haccp_ffp.pdf   714.88KB   22 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C
1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
HACCP/HARPC training Compressor for HACCP HACCP and SQF Certification Implementing HACCP/BRC for a Logistics Company HACCP plan for cold smoked trout HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree HACCP Meeting checklist HACCP Plan for Frozen Meat HACCP certification for SQG Ed 9.0 - System Element 2.1.1.5 HACCP Training for Flexible Packaging Industry