What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Allergens with vegetables?

Started by , Sep 27 2012 09:02 PM
4 Replies
Hi all,

In all the checklists for getting certified there is mention of how I need all this documentation about the allergens in the production. However, my business is a fresh vegetable farm. According to this: http://www.food.gov....ontainguide.pdf
We don't deal with any of those allergens. So do I still need to fill out all the documents about allergens, if we don't use any of it? It doesn't seem like I can just skip over it.

Thanks
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
FSSC v6 2.5.6 Management of Allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Allergens control in research and development
[Ad]
Hi Melski. You bring up a good issue, and for years (in the U.S.) the subject of allergens was easily dealt with at facilities that were low/no risk of allergens. A simple statement stating such tended to appease an auditor or customer. Today's global and retail standards require a bit deeper consideration. While you may not be growing or harvesting an allergen, what about contamination from your food handlers? How do you manage the employee who brings a peanut butter sandwich in his lunch box? Is he/she required to wash their hands after lunch and returning to work? Gloves? Etc. When you start to look at associated activities that might pose a risk, rather than just the raw material you are working with you might be surprised.

As eye roll inducing as that may be, does that help out any?
1 Thank
Oh wow, I didn't even think about that aspect. Thank you!
Hello Melski,

Not wanting to roll eyes any further - but - another cross contamination vector comes from what your contractors and the folks around you may
bring to the table:

· where was your service engineer before hearrived on your premises and where did he stick his tools?

· what else was in the truck that delivered yourfood packaging?

· what did the farmer put in his loaders / storagefacilities before he stored and delivered your crops?

· who are your neighbours and what allergens dothey let become airborne?

The problem is that so little allergen can prompt lifethreatening conditions that these secondary vectors become significant -particularly given the growing prevalence of allergen sensitivities and the lengtheninglist of allergens amongst the legislation.

Happy New Year,

Graham

I have seen packinghouses that require the vegetable producers to commit that peanuts hadn't been grown in the fields in the past 3 years.

Gail

Similar Discussion Topics
FSSC v6 2.5.6 Management of Allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Allergens control in research and development Cleaning Between Allergens - Tree Nut to Peanuts Do we need to have signs of alerts for our employees about the risk of processing allergens? Raw Material Segregation based on Allergens Declaration or allergens Allergens Spills tracking template