What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Do you agree with the auditor that can seamer is not a CCP?

Started by , Oct 19 2012 06:55 AM
3 Replies
Dear all,

My company have been audit last week and the auditor says that the can seamer is not a CCP as it's not really hazard related-mold due to the product are high acid (carbonated soft drinks).
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Over lenient NSF auditor Are You an Effective Auditor? FSSC Internal auditor competency Choice of Auditor and Auditing Date BRCGS 3.5.3 Issue 6 - Internal Auditor competency
[Ad]
CCP or not what control measures do you have in place to ensure a good seam?
I'm sure your customers or the end consumer wouldn't want a bad seam - what's your experience? Does it ever happen? What is the result?
It's your HACCP and risk assessment, so if you want it as a CCP then as long as you have the rational behind it.

If you think about seam tear downs, you probably only do 2 or 3 tests per hour and in that time you many have canned thousands of cans. Can you guarentee that all tese "missed" cans are ok?

INO i think it should be.

Caz
It depends on your risk assessment. Is a faulty seam likely to cause serious injury, illness, or death? Or, is it mostly an economic hardship?

In high acid foods, your microbial concerns may be non-exsistent due to acid content, pH level and the inability of pathogens to grow. Your concerns for physical injury from exploding cans (carbonation) might be a consideration though. Ask yourself the questions and see what your answers are, and what support there is for your argument....documented cases, growth studies, etc.

If you find that faulty seams are not a CCP, they are most certainly a QCP.

Similar Discussion Topics
Over lenient NSF auditor Are You an Effective Auditor? FSSC Internal auditor competency Choice of Auditor and Auditing Date BRCGS 3.5.3 Issue 6 - Internal Auditor competency BRCGS Auditor Issue 6 SQF Auditor - Contractor vs Salaried? Where do I find the Practical Internal auditor Training for Food Operations Previous recording that I just purchased? Is there a process that allows me to request another auditor? Will an auditor show up on a Friday for an Unannounced SQF Audit?