What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Risks Associated with Using Refurbished Drums

Started by , Nov 07 2012 12:44 PM
2 Replies
Refurbished drums:they are used for storing sauce or juice aseptic bags.
- What are the risks associated with the usage of refurbished drums?
- What are the requirements for the manufacturer with regards to Quality management system?
- Is it necessary to demand from the manufacturer to refurbish only those ones coming back from the food manufacturing?
- What kind of paint should be used inside?
- Is it necessary to be washed inside before they get painted

What are your opinions on the matter, please?
Thank you
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Table for identification and assessment of risks and determination of control measures Freeze Dried Meat Risks Food Safety Risks from Dead Body Risks of non ready to eat product that is not refrigerated Risks of reheating Naan breads before depositing sauce
[Ad]
What do members think about this practice - potential risks / controls required?

Regards,
Simon

My experience isn't with BRC, but painting the drums seems like a hazard to me. Paint chips and peels, and thus far in my experience all the auditors have been on the lookout for it and like to see it's use reduced wherever possible.

My experience with drums is the type we use, the cardboard/fiber drums. We have a healthy amount that we own and use to hold WIP product. We use food grade poly liners (Certificate of Guarantee on the liners) inside the drums so that no product touches the drum itself. In that regard, we don't have any documentation on the drums themselves because they are not touching product. Perhaps that might be something you could explore rather than getting the drums themselves certified?

Similar Discussion Topics
Table for identification and assessment of risks and determination of control measures Freeze Dried Meat Risks Food Safety Risks from Dead Body Risks of non ready to eat product that is not refrigerated Risks of reheating Naan breads before depositing sauce Examples of Risks and Opportunities for Clause 4 The risks of food additive E319 Supplier Risks Bakehouse - opening doors, risks of site security, contamination Risks in Drink Packing