What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Do I have a multi-site situation?

Started by , May 02 2013 07:05 PM
5 Replies
Hey folks, this is my first foray into this topic. My company will be adding a 60,000 ft. sq. warehouse for all of our packaging materials and receiving of raw materials, as well as housing some offices. There will be zero food manufacturing done at the location. We have already set up a basic IPM program which will be expanded once we are 100% operational. Does the new building have to have its' own Food Safety Plan, or can I fold it into the applicable modules I will be creating for our main manufacturing plant? I am developing our system per SQF Level 2. (SQF FSC 17) Thanks! -Bob
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Is Water testing required for SQF Storage and Distribution site? Site Down? Does a Quality Manager need to be on site any time production is running? Cleaning Chemicals in a Food Contact Packaging Site Is there a site that lists auditors and rates them?
[Ad]
The experts (SQF Auditors) that I consulted on this in my own similiar situation said no and that almost no one qualifies for the the multi-site certification. Your two sites will be audited and certified separately. In my opinion, your sites would each need their own food safety plan - you may be able to share some documentation, i.e. some policies and procedures might be the same, such as receiving incoming goods, but the food safety hazards for manufacturing would be very different and would require it is own HACCP plan.
1 Thank
I believe that you'll need to register your new facility with the FDA as well.
1 Thank
Thanks for the input. I was thinking that I would need two sets of books. Of course, the storage site criteria would be far less involved than our manufacturing facility, but equally scrutinized, I am sure!

The experts (SQF Auditors) that I consulted on this in my own similiar situation said no and that almost no one qualifies for the the multi-site certification. Your two sites will be audited and certified separately. In my opinion, your sites would each need their own food safety plan - you may be able to share some documentation, i.e. some policies and procedures might be the same, such as receiving incoming goods, but the food safety hazards for manufacturing would be very different and would require it is own HACCP plan.

Bob, is the facility you speaking about located onsite with your main facility or is it apart from it - if onsite it would seem reasonable that it would be a part of your overall SQF program. Regardless of on-site or across town it does not appear to be multi-site and if separate you'll need to see if it even should be part of the scope as you might be able to negate it completely. In a situation like this however a call to SQFI would be a good idea as there is not enough information in your posting for me to provide you with an accurate answer.

Bob, is the facility you speaking about located onsite with your main facility or is it apart from it - if onsite it would seem reasonable that it would be a part of your overall SQF program. Regardless of on-site or across town it does not appear to be multi-site and if separate you'll need to see if it even should be part of the scope as you might be able to negate it completely. In a situation like this however a call to SQFI would be a good idea as there is not enough information in your posting for me to provide you with an accurate answer.

I agree could not hurt does not cost anything but time.

Similar Discussion Topics
Is Water testing required for SQF Storage and Distribution site? Site Down? Does a Quality Manager need to be on site any time production is running? Cleaning Chemicals in a Food Contact Packaging Site Is there a site that lists auditors and rates them? Preparing for on site Bacillus testing Can you refuse an audit if the Quality Manager is not on site? Storage Sharing (On site) How to get more information about the current situation of the industry BRC Site Standards