What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What SKILLS are required for working in a quality assurance department

Started by , Jul 11 2013 02:19 AM
18 Replies

hello,apart from the textbook knowledge what skills do we need to work in QA department.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Protective clothing while working in freezers Salary for Quality Control Supervisor Is wearing of steel toe shoes required on the plant floor? NIAS analysis required for food PET bottles and PE closures
[Ad]

Common Sense, lots of it.

Patience, lots of it.

Problem solving skills.

The ability to work systematically and logically.

Outside of that specific industry/business knowledge always tends to be helpful.

1 Thank
Agree with Dood.  I would add:

Good communication skills and the ability to motivate and convince people (at all levels) to act in a certain way.  Need to be visible and lead by example. Be steadfast and single minded on business and process improvement.  A never say die attitude is useful.  Don’t be hurt if things don’t go to plan, find another way, but never stop trying to get there, because you know its right!  They will realise in the end.  Let people think they made the idea themselves; people need to feel good about themselves.  And if they feel good then they do what you want them to. :smile:
1 Like2 Thanks

Tenacity, sense of humour, the ability to accept the unexpected, to accept that sometimes customers are complete numpties but not to show that you know this, getting on with your work mates . And if you get bollocked just accept it and move on (Quality tend to get the blame for lots of stuff going wrong!) don't let it fester, it won't get you anywhere.

Don't forget, your chosen industry may be a very small place, where everybody knows everybody!

Caz x

2 Thanks

All excellent points. I'll add:

Try to be on very good terms with your Maintenance Manager. He can be your biggest friend or your worst enemy. :rofl2:

1 Like

Patience

Sense of Humor (or humour)  :shades:  

Ability to Compromise (seeing shades of grey)

Clarity of Purpose (see big picture) 

Good Communication Skills

Lead by Example

Curiosity to learn more

Willingness to accept change

All excellent points. I'll add:

Try to be on very good terms with your Maintenance Manager. He can be your biggest friend or your worst enemy. :rofl2:

Good call Esquef. :clap:

You are a pure cost to the business, add value! 

Remember your ultimate goal is to make yourself redundant.  :spoton:

All the skills mentioned above are very important to have.  The most important one, as far as I'm concerned, is making sure you fully understand what each departments is doing, how they do it and issues they face while doing it.   If you understand these things you will be able to implement your Food Safety programs much better.  If you don't understand how production runs and the issues they face every day how can you help them be the best they can be, same goes for Sanitation and Maintenance.  I would spend some time working in other departments.  You will learn a lot of things that will help you improve your food safety program.   You will also gain some respect from other team members.  The bottom line is if other departments feel like you understand them they will work harder to understand what you need done and this will lead to more communication.  Good Luck  

4 Thanks

Very good, two to add:

Innate ability to know what shortcuts are likely to be taken

Eyes in the back of your head

Dear singhrekha,

A kevlar-lined jacket. Doubled at the back.

Rgds / Charles.C

All good points.  Also, get to know the Sanitation Supervisor and work closely with them.  Also, I would add that you need to be visible.  Don't get so caught up in the paperwork that you're not on the floor.  Keep an open door policy so that people are comfortable coming to you when they have a problem or concern (a candy jar on your desk with everyone's particular favorites can help tremendously!).  Remember that they will refer to you as the Food Police.  Embrace it!   Cajole, incentivize, and keep a good sense of humor, but don't compromise on safety.  If you keep at it, eventually things will move in the right direction. 

2 Likes3 Thanks

All good points.  Also, get to know the Sanitation Supervisor and work closely with them.  Also, I would add that you need to be visible.  Don't get so caught up in the paperwork that you're not on the floor.  Keep an open door policy so that people are comfortable coming to you when they have a problem or concern (a candy jar on your desk with everyone's particular favorites can help tremendously!).  Remember that they will refer to you as the Food Police.  Embrace it!   Cajole, incentivize, and keep a good sense of humor, but don't compromise on safety.  If you keep at it, eventually things will move in the right direction.

Mmmm candy...you got me. :smile:

Mmmm candy...you got me. :smile:

UHHH no! that's encouraging people to eat on shop floor!

Have your candy jar in the canteen!

Cazx

UHHH no! that's encouraging people to eat on shop floor!

Have your candy jar in the canteen!

Cazx

THAT'S what I thought!  NO candy!  LOL 

Setanta

(great minds, Caz...)

I would also suggest a hard helmet - for all those times when you end up banging your head against the wall :giggle:

Candy! More like a bottle of JD :beer:

As the tone is deteriorating I did think of another one, a bit cryptic but ........ fan cleaning capabilities :cheezy:

MM how about the ability to flirt shamelessly with auditors! :giggle:

ohhh my word Production Manager what to do with him ?????????????

the buyer that buys expired stock with the hope of giving you extension of shelf life because they are cheap

Similar Discussion Topics
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Protective clothing while working in freezers Salary for Quality Control Supervisor Is wearing of steel toe shoes required on the plant floor? NIAS analysis required for food PET bottles and PE closures Required Food Safety Training for Employees Under FSSC 22000 HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards Are 3 month required documents for SQF Audit?