What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How long can I keep cooked sausages in the fridge?

Started by , Sep 20 2013 08:40 AM
23 Replies

My wife cooked some sausages on Monday and there were some left over. They were wrapped in foil and placed in fridge within an hour.  Fridge is cold, but I don’t measure the temperature.  I was considering having them for breakfast this morning. But sadly chose to bin them to be on the safe side.  Such a shame.

Would they have been ok warmed up on a butty?

Regards,
Simon

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Thawing of Cooked meats for RTE products BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care Is touching boxes and par cooked bacon allowed while scaling and packaging? Fully cooked chicken zone decision Monitoring the temperature of a canteen fridge
[Ad]
Hell yes! (technical answer)

I'd have nuked them, copious amounts of Brown sauce, thick slices of bread and real butter! All washed down with a cup of breakfast tea!

Caz x
What is this 'left over sausages' of which you speak?

<grins>

For that matter, what is a butty? <smileys seem to be disabled right now>
LOL Setanta

a butty is a sandwich!!

See Simon, we even get confused when we're al speaking English!
1 Thank

While we're into the subject of the UK vs. the U.S. forms of English, what is "brown sauce"? :helpplease:

OMG .... You've never had brown sauce??

Its a type of ketchup ... delicious on sausage sarnies!

http://answers.yahoo...d=1006051008412

caz x

Dear esquef,

I guess every country has its own culinary splendours, to expand Caz's scope, Brown Sauce –

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Brown_sauce

There have, for decades, been persistent rumours regarding the detailed ingredient lists of various of these traditional products,  for example Pork Pies and certain pickles that if people really knew what went into them ……..!. Purely anecdotal of course. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

In the end I had a banana and a packet of doritos (tangy cheese). It filled a space, but not like a big sausage butty can.

Next time I will bite the bullet butty. :smile:

Sausage Butty recipe.

• 2 slices of fresh bread or a bun
  • Nice coating of best butter
  • A couple of good quality bangers
  • Sauce of choice (brown or red or both)
  • No salad garnish required

recipe_sausage-sandwich.jpg   21.07KB   3 downloads

I think it would take off in the USA.

Regards,

Simon

1 Like
Looks good to me!

Regards,

Simon

I think you're onto something Simon. You should cross the pond and open a chain of Butty Shops in the States (although I think a name change for "Butty" might be in order over here).

If you mixed ketchup with Worcestershire sauce (sp?) would that approximate brown sauce?

Hi Simon,

The first criterion to yr original query is typically the 2hr/4hr one with variations. See attachment -

4hour-2hour temp. rules.pdf   499.25KB   12 downloads

My guess is that the sausages passed unless you are experiencing a tropical heatwave or they may have met some kind of unmentioned negative hygiene event. :smile:

Assuming OK, left with the usual fridge limits. i suspect a 5 day storage time is on the unopened, labelled limit of most cooked, chilled, RTE, packaged products, and may well exceed many official opinions. The real truth may depend on ingredients. Shades of the ambient hot-dogs.

Do they sell packaged, chilled, RTE sausages in UK supermarkets? > a maximum fridge storage for an optimum input / specified preservatives etc. Plus a personal safety factor ? Not looking too encouraging unless yr fridge follows FDA rules perhaps.

Rgds / Charles.C

1 Thank

In the end I had a banana and a packet of doritos (tangy cheese). It filled a space, but not like a big sausage butty can.

Next time I will bite the bullet butty. :smile:

Sausage Butty recipe.

• 2 slices of fresh bread or a bun
  • Nice coating of best butter
  • A couple of good quality bangers
  • Sauce of choice (brown or red or both)
  • No salad garnish required

recipe_sausage-sandwich.jpg

Regards,

Simon

We have the far inferior “sausage sizzle” which is a poor quality sausage placed in a single slice of plan white bread and folded over. Its standard issue BBQ sauce on everything too !

Sad times.

FSA guidelines: Store leftovers in covered containers in the fridge and consume within 2-3 days

Next time stick them in the freezer after they have cooled.

I'd have nuked them and eat them anyway but would not lower myself to having merely 'brown sauce' - It has to be HP sauce :secret:

Regards,

Tony

Thanks for the feedback and comments all.

In future I will freeze them...simples. :smile:

Regards,

Simon

Thanks for the feedback and comments all.

In future I will freeze them...simples. :smile:

Regards,

Simon

After eating them, tell us if the flavour was the same... (in my place, cooked food never will be frozen again, unless in "war scenario"...) I have tried and i will not repeat it!

Usually, when we have extra cooked food, we storage in fridge in closed plastic box during one or two days. After that period, and if the color, smell and taste is acceptable we eat it. If not,  throw it away.

But the preferences vary... :)

That's what your nose is for... you'll tell pretty quickly by the smell whether a sausage has gone off or not... 

Pet hate of mine.. best before dates..... millions of euros of food are wasted because of those... why not just have use by and be done with it.

After eating them, tell us if the flavour was the same... (in my place, cooked food never will be frozen again, unless in "war scenario"...) I have tried and i will not repeat it!

War situation...seems a bit drastic, is freezing sausages that bad, why? lose flavour texture?

That's what your nose is for... you'll tell pretty quickly by the smell whether a sausage has gone off or not... 

Pet hate of mine.. best before dates..... millions of euros of food are wasted because of those... why not just have use by and be done with it.

My concern with bacteria is that I was under the perception that it does not change the look or smell of food.  Is that incorrect?  Maybe some bacteria do and some don't.  If my bread is mouldy it's easy to see.

I'm not well up on my bacteria. :dunno:

Regards,

Simon

For the most part especially in cooked food there will be some change in smell before it can be used as a biological weapon. By all means freeze the sausages if that is your preferred method. A quick zap in the microwave will soon tell you whether they are 'off' or not!!

I have always used my nose as my primary indicator and I'm not dead yet

War situation...seems a bit drastic, is freezing sausages that bad, why? lose flavour texture?

For me is clearly different. The texture and flavour are worst in frozen sausage (If already cooked). Make your own judgement. Keep one sausage in the freezer and buy a fresh one. Cooked both at the same time. Close your eyes and ask to some one in your home to give you both sausages (you can´t know in advance which of them is fresh or not...).... Yes, like a sensory analysis test! :)

When I write "war scenario", not mean a situation of real war, with weapons, death, blood, or bombs... Sorry If i lead you to a wrong thought. I just mean that in last resource, and if i don´t have time/availability to prepare my own meals, I must eat prepared/cooked food to save some time. :)

For the most part especially in cooked food there will be some change in smell before it can be used as a biological weapon. By all means freeze the sausages if that is your preferred method. A quick zap in the microwave will soon tell you whether they are 'off' or not!!

I have always used my nose as my primary indicator and I'm not dead yet

Yes, smell it first... However even when the smell is not bad, bacteria are there, but not in the amount that could create sintomes of Foodborne illness... Is a shot in the dark

.  If my bread is mouldy it's easy to see.

Fresh bread (traditional, not processed bread), is only fresh in the day you buy it. In the next day, starts to be more rigid and with different texture and flavour.

But if you freeze bread when is still fresh, after several days you can use it. Just put it in the oven for a few minutes, and you can it eat like if you buy it in the shop! (quite different from the sausages theory)

Hi Simon,

My concern with bacteria is that I was under the perception that it does not change the look or smell of food.  Is that incorrect ?

Unfortunately, your  perception for various pathogenic species is widely validated and sometimes also the reverse corollary, ie smells OK but unsafe to eat, smells OFF but may be safe to eat. Net result -  everything's a gamble at some level.  :ninja:

Obviously bacteria which happily produce certain noxious odours (eg sulphur based) do readily make their presence well-felt, pathogenic or otherwise. :smile: The missing link perhaps ??

Rgds / Charles

For me is clearly different. The texture and flavour are worst in frozen sausage (If already cooked). Make your own judgement. Keep one sausage in the freezer and buy a fresh one. Cooked both at the same time. Close your eyes and ask to some one in your home to give you both sausages (you can´t know in advance which of them is fresh or not...).... Yes, like a sensory analysis test! :)

Hmmm a home laboratory...I like this kind of experiement as I get to eat lot's of sausages.  Normally there are no spares, but if they are I will try.  Thanks Rui.

Fresh bread (traditional, not processed bread), is only fresh in the day you buy it. In the next day, starts to be more rigid and with different texture and flavour.

But if you freeze bread when is still fresh, after several days you can use it. Just put it in the oven for a few minutes, and you can it eat like if you buy it in the shop! (quite different from the sausages theory)

Now I already no about this one as we freeze fresh bread as part of our Standard Operating Procedures. :smile:

Hi Simon,

Unfortunately, your  perception for various pathogenic species is widely validated and sometimes also the reverse corollary, ie smells OK but unsafe to eat, smells OFF but may be safe to eat. Net result -  everything's a gamble at some level.  :ninja:

Obviously bacteria which happily produce certain noxious odours (eg sulphur based) do readily make their presence well-felt, pathogenic or otherwise. :smile: The missing link perhaps ??

Rgds / Charles

Commonsense is often the best policy in these situations.  If it's cooked ok and cooled quickly and stored in a good container in a cold refridgerator, then it should be ok for a few day's...but best to poke and sniff before nuking and eating.  That's my SOP, but on this occassion as I could not validate all steps (I was in Holland) I decided to bin them.  I know it's not good and I don't like wasting food, but sometimes food safety comes first. :lol:

Regards,

Simon

Hi All;

I have acquired valuable words in food world , regardless the delicious recipe posted by Simon , these words such as  ;

1.Butty

2.Bangers

3.Worcestershire sauce 

new words in fact and good to know so hope we can share togather with some food terms that taken accrdoing to the origin or country nature .

Regards

Hygienic

Similar Discussion Topics
Thawing of Cooked meats for RTE products BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care Is touching boxes and par cooked bacon allowed while scaling and packaging? Fully cooked chicken zone decision Monitoring the temperature of a canteen fridge How long can a machine be down before cleaning needs to be performed? How long should we be reworking product made with multiple lots of rework? How Long Should You Flush Water Lines For Sampling Examples of short and long-term customer complaint reduction strategies Standard on how long equipment can remain idle in a soiled condition?