What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Storage of medicines such as Insulin in refrigerators

Started by , Oct 08 2013 01:48 PM
6 Replies

Just wondered how you deal with this issue where personnel need secure storage and may need emergency access to medicines.

Thanks,

Simon

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Warehouse storage practice for Non-GMO Project Pecan, Almond and Other Nut Storage What would be the best temperature and relative humidity for our rice mill warehouse storage facility? BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 Customers want to rent our storage to store their products
[Ad]

I haven't dealt with this personally, but I do know that in the US we have some OSHA regulations that state separate facilities must be provided.  That can be interpreted as a small refrigerator with a padlock.

Can apply to medicines but also "motherly" liquids that you wouldn't necessarily want stored next to your sandwich.

I haven't dealt with this personally, but I do know that in the US we have some OSHA regulations that state separate facilities must be provided.  That can be interpreted as a small refrigerator with a padlock.

Can apply to medicines but also "motherly" liquids that you wouldn't necessarily want stored next to your sandwich.

Destinee,

That's not been my experience.(Need to have separate cooling units for either breast milk or insulin)

I KNOW we must supply a place for moms to pump with some privacy and most coolers seem to keep the milk cold for a work shift. Coolers have also worked for insulin. Perhaps it just hasn't come up here, yet.

Just another view...
Setanta

Thanks. I think a small dedicated fridge, with lock and signage is a good idea.

You can get really small ones for lowish cost.

Regards,

Simon

Where possible have a dedicated first aid room that is locked with only authorised first aiders and management having a key. Where possible the dispensing of medicines should be avoided. Where not possible medicine stocks and their usage should be logged.

I keep my insulin in a small fridge in a labelled plastic food container (sandwich box) in the management kitchen fridge. I bring in my correct dosage each day.

Never had any problem with an auditor

Caz x

Thank you for your comments.

Similar Discussion Topics
Warehouse storage practice for Non-GMO Project Pecan, Almond and Other Nut Storage What would be the best temperature and relative humidity for our rice mill warehouse storage facility? BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 Customers want to rent our storage to store their products Warehouse Storage Practices What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? Organic Audit - Food Storage and Distribution Pasteurized Milk Ordinance - 72 hour storage tank rule Is Water testing required for SQF Storage and Distribution site?