What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

4.1.6 external storage

Started by , Oct 14 2013 10:06 AM
4 Replies

Hello,

i would like to know how you have solved this requirement.

4.1.6 Where external storage of raw materials is necessary these shall be protected from contamination. 

Is a pallet enough to keep the raw material off the ground for no contamination??  

Is there a roofing needed?(If no storage outside when it is raining)

Thanks!

-André

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Pecan, Almond and Other Nut Storage Warehouse storage practice for Non-GMO Project What would be the best temperature and relative humidity for our rice mill warehouse storage facility? BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 Customers want to rent our storage to store their products
[Ad]

In general it depends on a lot of issues which only you can identify. You are correct that off ground storage is required. Other considerations are:

1. Protection from weather conditions

2. Security on the material

3. Pest Control - baiting of the area and inclusion on pest control plan

4. Cleaning of external packaging prior to removal to production area

These are just some but there are more.

George

1 Thank

Dear SevDre,

To generalise George's answer -  as usual, a (contamination) risk assessment is required. I'm surprised BRC did not automatically include the text as per their customary style.

Rgds / Charles.C

1 Thank

Thank you for the answers!Already helps a lot!
Maybe I should have told you some more informations.

The raw materials are paper rolls like this:

Paper%20Roll.JPG

For protection they are wrapped in another layer of paper/film and before it comes to the manufacturing a couple of layers will be taken down and the sides will also be cutted.

This fits into the GMP certification dont you think its ok for BRC/IoP ? (With a risk assessment) :ejut:

From the photograph, it appears that you are working at a corrugated plant and presumably the paper is not for direct contact with food? Is it correct to assume that you are manufacturing transit cases? In all corrugated plants I have visited as a BRC / IOP  auditor, the outer plies of material are removed before the reel is fed into the corrugator and the steam used in the process would eliminate any potential microbiological contamination anyway. The BRC is very strong on risk assessments being carried out so assess the risks and look at the precautions you already take, the risks to the end product and the type of end use. By following these principles, I am confident that you will determine that there are actually no risks the end product.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Pecan, Almond and Other Nut Storage Warehouse storage practice for Non-GMO Project What would be the best temperature and relative humidity for our rice mill warehouse storage facility? BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 Customers want to rent our storage to store their products Warehouse Storage Practices What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? Organic Audit - Food Storage and Distribution Pasteurized Milk Ordinance - 72 hour storage tank rule Is Water testing required for SQF Storage and Distribution site?