What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Positive results for staph aureus on hands

Started by , Oct 28 2013 04:13 PM
4 Replies

Hi

I am looking for advice regarding staph aureus. I work for a low care vegetable processing company. We have been hand swabbing for staph aureus for the last 12 months. I have only recently had a positive result on one of our production staff. We have re-swabbed him and it came back positive again. I believe he could be a carrier. The result was <20. Apart from retraining on personal hygiene, is there any other corrective action I could put in to place?

Thanks

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
High risk area with positive pressure and microbiological air filtration Environmental testing positive in zone 2 Positive Allergen Test Result Procedure Positive Air Pressure What could be the cause of candy samples tested positive for staphylococcus aureus?
[Ad]

Dear davwnmo,

For starters, I suggest you make absolutely sure of the validity of the result, eg  completed  coagulase positive test reaction on a typical, purified colony.

It may also depend on what you mean by low care ?

Is there a regulatory standard involved in UK ?

I recall a previous thread here (not UK) where a worker was not intrinsically a carrier but was believed to be routinely coming into contact with a source of S.aureus outside of his work. Theoretically correctable.

From memory, certain functions are also not always regarded as requiring a zero-tolerance although a carrier status would be pragmatic.

gloves ?

Rgds / Charles.C

1 Thank

Hello,

In my opinion, I think the person in question should go to the doctor and perform more thorough examinations. He may have caught a virus and need medication. Until then the person should not contact with food until they get the results of the examination and approval of the doctor as is fit to return to work.

Regards

Clara

1 Thank

Hi all,

please be aware that many people are carriers of Staph aureus in their nose, especially if they are having animals at home or doing sports with animals (horses). Medication does not help and is "not ethical" due to the fact I wrote. Include in your hygiene training to avoid unintentional or unconcious touching of the area around the nose.

Rgds

moskito

Hello dawnmo,

it may not be coagulase positive staphylococcus but normal staphyloccocus.Only coagulase positive syaphyloccocus are pathogenic.

Similar Discussion Topics
High risk area with positive pressure and microbiological air filtration Environmental testing positive in zone 2 Positive Allergen Test Result Procedure Positive Air Pressure What could be the cause of candy samples tested positive for staphylococcus aureus? GFSI requirements for Positive Release and Environmental Monitoring SQF 9 11.1.6.1 - Positive Air Pressure Corrective action of Listeria innocua and Listeria welshimeri positive Positive Listeria welshimeri In Beginning of Run Positive Controls testing for Hygiena Insite Listeria