What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Why Food Safety Systems Fail?

Started by , Dec 07 2013 12:30 AM
5 Replies

HI All,

Some general thoughts about why food safety systems can fail over time.

George

http://safefood360.c...y-systems-fail/

1 Like
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?
[Ad]

A very good read, George.  Thank you.

In a previous company I worked with we had a program that managed everything (sales, inventory, shipping, accounting, manufacturing, etc) with the exception of one key department... Food Safety!  It was not only that particular program, but many others I have had experiences with.  You would think that in any TQM environment a food safety program would be integrated with all departments.  Why is that?  

[edit]

Removed inappropriate pronoun.

Dear Slab,

Because it is an axiom of many  manufacturing businesses that QA functions generate only negative  income. The "necessary evil" contribution.

Rgds / Charles.C

Hello to all,

I agree with Charles C. but aside from that based on my personal experience and up to date, past 4 years ago we passed the Integrated Management System Ceritfication (FMSM and QMS) from external auditors and we also pass their yearly surveillance audit without too much finding but this year when we renew our re-certification OMG there are many findings...as i believe the Management became slack and overlook that they need to continually improve the system.

Thanks,

Factory Hygienist

Dear Slab,

Because it is an axiom of many  manufacturing businesses that QA functions generate only negative  income. The "necessary evil" contribution.

Rgds / Charles.C

Thanks, Charles.  I agree that this mindset is unfortunately true and widespread.  However WE know that the true cost of lacking oversight far out weighs overhead "pinch". Perhaps this is why software programs eliminate the function of QA content so as to make their product more attractive financially.  :dunno:

I'm fortunate enough to be currently working with a COO that gets it.  I will be speaking with her this Monday about SafeFood360. 

Hi Guys - Charles is correct. FSM is seen as the poor relation in the management system family. It is difficult to sell internally the savings resulting from food safety failures that your systems prevented...!

The main point of the blog is the tendency for systems to gravitate towards disorganisation. There is only a finite amount of energy and resources in most companies to constantly re-energise the system and if a lot of it goes into simply managing it, checking, reminding others that something needs to be done etc then the rate of breakdown is faster. IT systems provide a tool to help address this by automating non value adding tasks which suck up resources.

George 

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Food safety culture plan Food contact surfaces