What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SQF requirements for water filtration

Started by , Dec 13 2013 09:04 PM
7 Replies

Hi all,

I have been told by our consultant that to achieve SQF certification we need to filter our water at 5 microns when it goes into product (pie filling, sauces...) and 20 when it is for washing product contact surfaces.  The water that we use is potable municipal water.  I am afraid that filters might do more harm than good with biofilms and all.  Since the code does not mention we have to filter I do not really see the point.  As anybody experienced something like this? 

Thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food Safety Additionally requirements Glove Dip Station filled with water and chlorine - is this normal? New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system OPP Packaging leavening milky residue when in contact with water Food Specification Requirements for food businesses in the UK?
[Ad]
"I have been told by our consultant that to achieve SQF certification we need to filter our water at 5 microns when it goes into product (pie filling, sauces...) and 20 when it is for washing product contact surfaces..." There is nothing in the SQF Code for 7.1 that indicates what the micron size is. If this was stated as a directive for certification you were provided with false information.

Hi all,

I have been told by our consultant that to achieve SQF certification we need to filter our water at 5 microns when it goes into product (pie filling, sauces...) and 20 when it is for washing product contact surfaces.  The water that we use is potable municipal water.  I am afraid that filters might do more harm than good with biofilms and all.  Since the code does not mention we have to filter I do not really see the point.  As anybody experienced something like this? 

Thanks!

:welcome: Vavave12

SQF requirements are defined in clause 11.5.2 Monitoring Water Microbiology and Quality

'11.5.2.1 Water used for
ii. an ingredient or food processing aid;
shall comply with local, national or internationally recognized potable water microbiological and quality standards as required'

Canadian Drinking Water Guidelines

The requirement for filtration will depend on the water quality, your system, any treatment you perform etc. and risk identified.

I don't know where the 5 micron and 20 micron came from? they are too large for micro filtration and small for foreign body removal.

I would want to filter going into product near point of use (for foreign body removal so maybe 1mm) so that is something you should assess the need for....

SQF Code clause 11.7.6 Detection of Foreign Objects:
'11.7.6.1 The responsibility, methods and frequency for monitoring, maintaining, calibrating and using screens, sieves, filters or other technologies to remove or detect foreign matter shall be documented and implemented'.

Regards,

Tony

1 Thank

I have seen the 5 micron filtration requirement pop up in a number of recent customer audits. To date, I have not gotten a reasonable explanation for the filtration requirement, nor the filter size...

I have seen the 5 micron filtration requirement pop up in a number of recent customer audits. To date, I have not gotten a reasonable explanation for the filtration requirement, nor the filter size...

Thank you KTD, interesting, for general filtration or for water being used as an ingredient?

Regards,

Tony

Tony

So far, requirements have addressed water as an ingredient, not otherwise used...

Hi,

I know such requirements from UK customers ("at risk water"). The reason is to remove a possible contamination of protozoa like Cryptospridium or Gardia which might be present in surface derived water. By analyzing the incidents with protozoa contamination you will find that the most cases in the last 100 years have occurred in UK and North America. 

With deep well water the protozoa are removed by time and the "filtration" occuring while passing the ground for 50 or 100 m.

Rgds

moskito

We are replacing the filter media in our water filtration system and the media is worn out we can't read the micron size written on it.

any idea what guidelines i can use for water used as an ingredient?

we already do environmental water testing by 3 methods,

1) the annual report issued by the municipality

2) annually we have a technician come in and do a microbiology test on the water from different areas throughout the plant.

so i think a filtration system that filters foriegn bodies should be enough for us right?

Similar Discussion Topics
Food Safety Additionally requirements Glove Dip Station filled with water and chlorine - is this normal? New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system OPP Packaging leavening milky residue when in contact with water Food Specification Requirements for food businesses in the UK? Frozen meals - cooling requirements Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? Net Weight Requirements for Combination Gift Packaging High risk area with positive pressure and microbiological air filtration