What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Storage for cleaning chemicals

Started by , Jan 08 2014 09:30 PM
4 Replies

Hi, I am new to this but here goes. Should you use non-food grade plastic bins to store cleaning chemicals that are used to clean stainless steel vessels for wine? We are preparing for BRC.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food Fraud for Storage and Distribution Warehouse does storage like freezer and refrigerator considered prps ? Pecan, Almond and Other Nut Storage Warehouse storage practice for Non-GMO Project What would be the best temperature and relative humidity for our rice mill warehouse storage facility?
[Ad]

Hi, I am new to this but here goes. Should you use non-food grade plastic bins to store cleaning chemicals that are used to clean stainless steel vessels for wine? We are preparing for BRC.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi RosieMolly,

BRC standard answer would be you should do a risk assessment :huh:

I have not seen any requirements related to food grade plastic for the storage of chemicals. If you consider the risk of migration into the cleaning chemical and then this being transferred to the wine I would expect it to be small. If you rinse with potable water after cleaning this would reduce the risk even further.

Regards,

Tony

Dear RosieMolly,

Of course the available options may depend on how potent/reactive yr chemicals actually are. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

I might be misunderstanding you use, but chemical control would also mean that these bins are clearly labeled with the contents and properly secured/locked up.  I've gotten 2 non-conformities over time for using secondary containers from which labelling was either unclear or had worn off, so to be safe we don't use any secondary containers anymore. 

we don't use any secondary containers anymore. 

Indeed! keep it simple and you don't have too worry about labeling.

The only time I would dispense is for immediate use such as in a bucket for cleaning:

Colour Coding Red Process Areas_001.jpg   102.74KB   2 downloads

Regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
Food Fraud for Storage and Distribution Warehouse does storage like freezer and refrigerator considered prps ? Pecan, Almond and Other Nut Storage Warehouse storage practice for Non-GMO Project What would be the best temperature and relative humidity for our rice mill warehouse storage facility? BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 Customers want to rent our storage to store their products Warehouse Storage Practices What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? Organic Audit - Food Storage and Distribution