What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Question about Glass and Brittle Plastic Policy

Started by , Feb 01 2014 01:03 PM
9 Replies

I would like to know if any of you included eyeglasses worn by employees on your Glass and Brittle plastic Policy?

We currently do not have it on it and a couple auditors have ask about it.

Thanks in advance ....

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Ingredient List Question (FDA, USA) Question about a Misleading label SQF Code Sector Question SQF Internal Audit Documentation question SQF Practitioner Question
[Ad]

We don't but we do have a glasses/contact lens policy which outlines what to do if a lens is lost or broken in the production area, and it is part of Induction training.

I keep a register of lens & glasses wearers, and we have a section in our glass breakage procedure that addresses the loss of a lens or broken glasses. I don't audit them.

Caz x

I keep a register of lens & glasses wearers, and we have a section in our glass breakage procedure that addresses the loss of a lens or broken glasses. I don't audit them.

Caz x

Dear Caz

I agree that they cant be audited. Please clarify this for me: do they register their glasses every day before they go to the plant, or you just keep all the names of the employees who wear spectacles?

I just keep a list of who wears glasses. If I registered the glasses every day, then that would be an audit!

1 Thank

Thank you all for your input. I think that we would just add a section on the policy about what to do in case someone losses or breaks their glasses.

Hi,

we have thought about this, but we have decided to stay we the policy and rules.

Our idea was that everybody using eyeglasses has to put details about this in a list (type, material, wheight etc.)

As a bakery we have a lot of line with kneaders, mixers etc. With these detailed information you know in the case of problems how many of the eyeglasses is missing during restoration of the line.

Same question arises if a seal (metal, rubber) is disrupted in a pump and no sieve is installed behind this point, can be installed there.

Regards

moskitio

Hi,

we have thought about this, but we have decided to stay we the policy and rules.

Our idea was that everybody using eyeglasses has to put details about this in a list (type, material, wheight etc.)

As a bakery we have a lot of line with kneaders, mixers etc. With these detailed information you know in the case of problems how many of the eyeglasses is missing during restoration of the line.

Same question arises if a seal (metal, rubber) is disrupted in a pump and no sieve is installed behind this point, can be installed there.

Regards

moskitio

Dear moskito,

You must have an army of QA assistants. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear Charles,

not really. But I often involved in discussions with UK customers. We never have had a problems with a product on the market.

But I have had exactly the cases described. We blocked in bowth cases the production line and cleaned. But how to be sure the no foreign material is in a piping or anywere else, which can be released to any time. We are not able to unsrew the equipment.

One employee lost an eyeglass - most of them we found on a screen, some in products at the end of the line. And we tried to reconstruct the glasses. At that time we missed the data about the glasses. How much was found? 50%, 95%? The lot was lost anway, but we have had a good feeling after restarting the line.

Same with the seal - in that case we have had the same type in stock and the "reconstruction" of found parts was easier. Rubber is not the critical point in health risk but the metal part, which is a spring. Disrupting this into small pieces can create pieces which will not detected by the MD due to size/orientation. Same problem as with wires, but this type of metal is hardened and creates pieces with sharp edges.

These 2 examples occured in the last 10 years. Not very often, but we have done risk analysis and developed these ideas. But is always risk-benefit-analysis.

Rgds

moskito

1 Thank

I guess this would be similar to a person that needs to wear a metal necklace for identification of a medical condition. We require those personnel to fill out a "jewelry exception" form. We don't audit it, but do require, as part of the "form" that the employee notify supervision if the necklace comes up missing.

It's an interesting point though. At a former job (bakery), there was actually a situation where a worker lost a lens into a dough, but was not aware of it. Not sure if you wear glasses, and a lens goes missing, you can't be aware of it... but anyway. 

Marshall

Similar Discussion Topics
Ingredient List Question (FDA, USA) Question about a Misleading label SQF Code Sector Question SQF Internal Audit Documentation question SQF Practitioner Question Nutritional Facts Question Setting up new syrup product line and have CCP question? Biological Hazards Question Question 4 in Decision Tree of FSSC 22000 Question Regarding Cooling for NRTE