What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

API test preparation

Started by , Feb 19 2014 06:39 PM
6 Replies

hi everyone i have problems in the inoculum preparation before i do the API test , when i apply the biomeriaux methodology the results are between 60 -70%  valid , does anyboby have an article  to support an alternative  way of inoculum preparation ?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Microbiological Test Standard BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces What does SQF require one to test in the compressed air that has indirect contact with food? Test kit to verify that all sanitizer residues are completely removed BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test?
[Ad]

What are you trying to identify? Which API test are you running? Did you use selective media? 

I would follow the following

raw sample>enrichment media>selective media>API test

API test do not always correctly identify enviromental bacteria (expression of atypical genes)

thanx for the answer i try to use the API 20E ( food matrix)and i have problem in making the correct inoculum to spike into the strip.The manual states that one should take enough colonies to create a macfarland Standard and then inject into the strips. My problem is that this particular procedure does not give satisfactory results   .Any alternatives ?

1. Is the sample from the environment or lab stock culture.

2. Using a 0.1 uL loop, a loop full (just one or 2 small size colony) and inoculate the 2 mL saline ampoule. Mix the saline and cell with the loop. I will also use a pasture pipette to uptake and evacuate the saline/cell solution 4 or 5 times to suspend the cells. It should look like #1 to #2 McFarland standard ( cloudy but not milky)

3. I would not incubate for more then 26 -28 hours, its important to read the strip at this time.

1 Thank

thnx i will  try to check it !!

According to the pack insert for the API 20e the inoculation should be by taking 1 colony and mixing it with the suspension medium.

Poor results are IMEX most often due to mixed cultures, so make sure you clean up your isolate well before testing.

I find it's best to take your colony from non-selective agar, making sure the colony is no more than hours old.

I dont use the McFarland standard. I just take a 1microlitre loop and fill it ( approx 3-5 colonies) and this will create a heavy enough inoculum.

It then has to be mixed really well to disperse clumps.

Similar Discussion Topics
Microbiological Test Standard BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces What does SQF require one to test in the compressed air that has indirect contact with food? Test kit to verify that all sanitizer residues are completely removed BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? If I change the Xray Silicon 4.0 test sample to 8.0 mm will there be any problems? PAA test strips not matching titration results Walnut test frequency Can we test the water used in our facility using water testing kits? Test for determining Milk Fat adulteration in the dairy Industry.