What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Calibration Method for Thermometers

Started by , May 02 2014 09:12 PM
9 Replies

Does anyone have a good alternative to the ice slush calibration method for thermometers?  Thank you.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Temperature a CCP - Ready to eat plant (Reference document for setting oven calibration frequency) Calibration Certificate Expiration Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration (11.2.10.2) Calibrated equipment found out of calibration Infrared Thermometer Calibration
[Ad]

Dry block calibrators, but they are not cheap.

1 Thank

Hi, Glendora;

As, Snookie has mentioned dry block (or dry well/check-temp calibrators) are quick and easy to use, but unless you're on trial for murder the price of these units is beyond what most companies would deem necessary. The cost could be as low as $600, and as high as $6,000 depending on range and number NIST cert points.  It would be cheaper to order a probe with single NIST trace and keep going with the ice slurry method.  Regardless of the accuracy of calibration standard such as the dry block (usually +/- 0.2 deg C), you're allowed a +/- 1.1 deg C variance.  

1 Thank

Why 'not' use ice slush for calibration? This is the recommended procedure for probe type and infrared thermometers. You can also calibrate at the high end using boiling water.

el baño de hielo es la mejor alternativa para los 0°C; la calibración con agua hirviendo solo se hace cuando se está a nivel del mar, de otra manera es necesario usar correcciones dependiendo del lugar en donde estés

added - Charles.C - courtesy of Google

The ice bath is the best alternative for the 0 ° C; boiling water calibration is done only when it is at sea level, otherwise you need to use corrections depending on where you are

el baño de hielo es la mejor alternativa para los 0°C; la calibración con agua hirviendo solo se hace cuando se está a nivel del mar, de otra manera es necesario usar correcciones dependiendo del lugar en donde estés

This is correct you do need to correct altitude. 

Can I hijack this topic a little and ask what is the best way to calibrate hand held infra-red guns (http://www.southernh...hermometer.html) as I am struggling to get reliable readings.

I have been using the ice slurry method which works great for probe thermometers, but for the infra red, I get very unstable readings which are all 2-3 degrees above freezing point.

I tried the boiling water as well which gave completely laughable results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I love this cup.   This is an easy, inexpensive method for IR thermometers.  Very stable.

http://www.thermowor...arator_cup.html

2 Thanks

Dear primadeli,

Can try this thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ed-thermometer/

Rgds / Charles.C

there are lots of way to do calibration of thermometers ..you need a standard temperature for calibrating thermometer ..i am providing a procedure Temperature Calibration 

Similar Discussion Topics
Temperature a CCP - Ready to eat plant (Reference document for setting oven calibration frequency) Calibration Certificate Expiration Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration (11.2.10.2) Calibrated equipment found out of calibration Infrared Thermometer Calibration Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment Area Thermometer Calibration Do calibration weights need to be traceable or ISO certified? Frequency of External Calibration of Analytical Balance and Incubator External Calibration