What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Cold Storage HACCP plan

Started by , Jul 01 2014 02:27 PM
6 Replies

I am trying to create a HACCP plan for one of our other buildings within our company.  This other building is a cold storage facility.  Normally, a HACCP plan wouldn't be required, but because their customer is requesting that they have one & become SQF certified, then they need one.  I am lost as to how to go about this.  What process category do I put in there? Do I have to have multiple HACCP plans since they store multiple types of products?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thank you!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Is there any method available for Cold filled and Hold process parameters Temperature checks at receiving for ingredients that must be kept cold Cold Smoked Prawns HACCP HACCP Cold Storage Facility specification of cold room as per guideline of EU requirement
[Ad]

I am trying to create a HACCP plan for one of our other buildings within our company.  This other building is a cold storage facility.  Normally, a HACCP plan wouldn't be required, but because their customer is requesting that they have one & become SQF certified, then they need one.  I am lost as to how to go about this.  What process category do I put in there? Do I have to have multiple HACCP plans since they store multiple types of products?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thank you!

Do not forget that HACCP is a specific form of risk management. If your new building is for  cold storage, you have inherent hazards associated with the storage itself, such as expirations dates, temperature maintenance, access control, allergen management, maintenance, etc. I mean, you have to do is list all your dangers, categorize them according to their associated risk, and establish appropriate control measures. Obviously, you have to develop appropriate prerequisites

Are you having trouble figuring out what to point out as a hazard?

Product receiving can have contaminants.... 

Receiving truck- Sanitary, temperature?

Cold storage rooms cleaned/sanitized

Pest Control

Temperature Control

Nicks,

IMO, what we do in CS are loading, un-loading and storing at freezing temperature. Each of them have their own hazard risk (depend on product type/characteristic). For examples, time and temperature abuse during loading/un-loading may cause microbial growth. Allergen hazard have to be considered when multiple products are stored in the same room

Avila

1 Thank

HSOP
Temperature Control

Dear B.Nicks,

I presume by cold storage you mean -18degC or colder

Normally, a HACCP plan wouldn't be required, but because their customer is requesting that they have one & become SQF certified, then they need one

SQF certified with respect to what ? the process ? the cold store ? both ?

Does SQF have a standard specifically for cold storages ? i couldn't see one. (BRC does of course).

One wonders what yr process is ? Selling retail from CS only ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Hi B.Nicks,

There are general controls that should be in place such as storage protocols, temperature and environment.

It would be useful to know the range of products if you want specific advice.

Regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
Is there any method available for Cold filled and Hold process parameters Temperature checks at receiving for ingredients that must be kept cold Cold Smoked Prawns HACCP HACCP Cold Storage Facility specification of cold room as per guideline of EU requirement Transitioning from hot fill to cold fill for Low acid refrigerated dairy product Cold Storage added to our current HACCP Plan Minimum air turns per hour in a processing suite and cold storage suite Design Cold Chain Temp Monitoring Program Cold Chain Standards