What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

5.3 Provenance, assured status & claims of identity preserved

Started by , Aug 14 2014 09:42 PM
5 Replies

We are a further processor of meat and poultry items.  

Some of our products are labeled with the following claims:  

Antibiotic Free (this claim is based on documents provided by our supplier)

100% Natural (this claim is based on documents provided by our supplier)

Seasoned with 100% Natural Ingredients (this claim is based on documents provided by our supplier)

Gluten Free (this claim is based on documents provided by our supplier, gluten allergen swabs are taken in the production area, and some finished product is tested for gluten presence if requested by the customer)

My questions are:

1)  Do the claims we make above fall into 5.3 or 5.1.6 Nutritional Claims?

2)  Status Verification of Raw Materials - 5.3.1 in the BRC Interpretation Guideline states that "reliance solely on a declaration from a supplier will not be sufficient".  Based on what we currently use as a basis for these claims listed above (mostly supplier info), what more could we have in place to support these claims???

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Sea Salt Identity FDA Regulation of Customer Reviews: DS Health Claims Does Anyone Know Of a Good affordable Lab to test ingredientsfor purity, strength, identity, and composition Organic Status - Flour Production What to do when the last manufacturer identity is confidential?
[Ad]

Hi Tanward,

We are looking at implementing BRC this year, so have been reading up on the standard but not yet been audited.

I think the "Natural" and "Antibiotic Free" claims would fall under "assured status", Look at the link below to see similar items.

The Gluten Free claim would fall under Allergen Claims 5.2.7

http://books.google....venance&f=false

We are a further processor of meat and poultry items.  

Some of our products are labeled with the following claims:  

Antibiotic Free (this claim is based on documents provided by our supplier)

100% Natural (this claim is based on documents provided by our supplier)

Seasoned with 100% Natural Ingredients (this claim is based on documents provided by our supplier)

Gluten Free (this claim is based on documents provided by our supplier, gluten allergen swabs are taken in the production area, and some finished product is tested for gluten presence if requested by the customer)

My questions are:

1)  Do the claims we make above fall into 5.3 or 5.1.6 Nutritional Claims?

2)  Status Verification of Raw Materials - 5.3.1 in the BRC Interpretation Guideline states that "reliance solely on a declaration from a supplier will not be sufficient".  Based on what we currently use as a basis for these claims listed above (mostly supplier info), what more could we have in place to support these claims???

Hi Tanward,

Gluten Free Claims fall under 5.2 Management of Allergens in clause 5.2.7 Guidance for Allergen Claims 'Where a claim is made full validation and verification activities will be required including analysis of the product'

Natural would seem to fall under section 5.3 Provenance, assured status and claims of identity preserved materials but I would like to know what sort of 'natural' claim you are making.

For Antibiotic free see 5.1 Product Development, claims relating to the composition of the product are covered in 5.1.6. I would expect you to validate this claim by product testing as well.

Regards,

Tony

We are a USDA inspected plant - - - these claims are by customer request only and have been approved by the USDA.  

We are a USDA inspected plant - - - these claims are by customer request only and have been approved by the USDA.  

They may well have been approved by the USDA but they don't seem to meet BRC Food Safety requirements as per my post above.

Regards,

Tony

Assured Status: needs certificate

Provenance: origin / variety claim

IP: Non GMO claim

Similar Discussion Topics
Sea Salt Identity FDA Regulation of Customer Reviews: DS Health Claims Does Anyone Know Of a Good affordable Lab to test ingredientsfor purity, strength, identity, and composition Organic Status - Flour Production What to do when the last manufacturer identity is confidential? Prop 65, REACH, RoHS Status? Relative Claims of Fewer Carbs Functional claims on products Can we use vegan claims on our organic products in Canada? Label claims on supplements how to reduce testing