What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

11.7.5.5 Control of Foreign Matter Contamination

Started by , Sep 06 2014 11:17 AM
8 Replies

we were told by a consultant to inspect our pallets for foreign material contamination.

Can any one help with a sample of an inspection form.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Is pulling the cords out from the ear buds a risk to contamination? Allowable Preservative Levels in Foreign Countries (specifically South Korea) Document Control Salary for Quality Control Supervisor BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control
[Ad]
Do you want to inspect the pallets? To me, this would fall under your wood program. Or are you inspecting the PRODUCT on the pallets?

I believe that the intent is to have a process in place to ensure wood pallets are not likely to result in contaminating processing / handling areas with splinters and pieces of wood that could present foreign matter contamination of packaging. Prevention is the key, and getting ragged pallets out of the loop is your primary means of prevention of spreading wood in your production areas. 

Dear Ivan,

Come in please . More info required. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

I can tell you that I have pallet inspection as part of my GMP walk through and that has sufficed through our SQF level II audits.
1 Like

You can have it as part of your GMP audit. But I will advise you that it would also be good to have it as part of your receiving product/ingredient inspection form or receiving log. Your receiving is your first line of defense. Just add somewhere A=Accept or R=Reject and just mention on the bottom somewhere that A means: clean, no visible damage, free of insects and rodents, no evidence of pest.

1 Like

We have pallet check included in our weekly walk arounds as part of our wood in the plant control program.

1 Like

a few things to look at 

Top and bottom boards should be in place and should not be cracked or have missing pieces
 Stringers should be in good repair;
 there must be no protruding nails 
there should be no slivers of wood on/loose on the pallet

to be on the safe side, do a  double inspection-when pallets come in ,then you can reject if required  and another during your monthly walk around inspection (documented).. and also undocumented will be the forklift driver bringing in the pallets for use .I wouldnt trust the forklift driver to do a thorough job as they tend to look just on  the side facing the forklift and assume whole pallet is ok
1 Like

You can have it as part of your GMP audit. But I will advise you that it would also be good to have it as part of your receiving product/ingredient inspection form or receiving log. Your receiving is your first line of defense. Just add somewhere A=Accept or R=Reject and just mention on the bottom somewhere that A means: clean, no visible damage, free of insects and rodents, no evidence of pest.

Excellent point.  You can kill two birds with one stone with this approach.

Similar Discussion Topics
Is pulling the cords out from the ear buds a risk to contamination? Allowable Preservative Levels in Foreign Countries (specifically South Korea) Document Control Salary for Quality Control Supervisor BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control Questions used to determine the critical control point Control of nitrile gloves Does the freezer need to be on the flow chart as a preventative control Trader Joe’s dumplings recall due to possible contamination with hard plastic from a permanent marker SQF Requirements - Pest Control