What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Does anybody perform citric acid content analysis in fruit?

Started by , Sep 19 2014 02:13 AM
4 Replies

Does anybody perform citric acid content analysis in fruit?

I'd like to share ideas and solve doubts

Thanks

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF 2.4.3.7 - Hazard Analysis In CFR 111 must we reconfirm suppliers certificate of analysis for flavors and color? NIAS analysis required for food PET bottles and PE closures How to calculate the juice content from formula? Passivation Acid vs CIP
[Ad]

yes, I do, fire the question

1 Thank

Thanks!!

Do you perform manual or automatic titration?

I've got a Mettler Toledo Easy pH titrator, and I'm still trying to figure out how to stablish the most accurate method.

My parameters are: 10 mL of juice in 30 mL of distilled water, equivalence number 3 (Citric Acis vs NaOH 0.1 M), end point pH 8.2, molecular weight 192.12 g /mol (Citric Acid) and density 1g/cm3. The results come up as % (w/v) but the bibliography shows values as % w/w, so not sure how to compare data

Do you reckon the parameters are correct?

Hello qui,

Acidity in juices is calculated as percentage citric acid (w/v)for sour fruits like lemon,orange,mango etc and for apples as malic acid and grapes as tartaric acid.

For calculation acid factor changes in formulation.

Factor for:

- citric acid : 0.0064 (Citrus fruit)
- malic acid : 0.0067 (Apples)
- tartaric acid : 0.0075 (Grapes)

1C6H8O7 + 3NaOH --> 3H2O + Na3(C6H5O7)

(citric acid +sodium hydroxide --->water + sodium citrate.

The salt created is Sodium Citrate.

3 moles of 1M NaOH are required to neutralize  1 mole of 1M Citric Acid

3000 ml 1M NaOH is equivalent to 192.14. g citric acid.  (192.124 g/mol)

1ml 0.1M NaOH is equivalent to 0.0064g citric acid.

Percentage citric acid  = Titre x acid factor x 100

10 (ml juice)

Percentage citric acid  =                  ml of 0 .1 NNaoH x .0064 x 100

10 (ml juice)

(m/v% = g citric acid/100 mL of juice).

Normally juice acidity is calculated as w/v only.

To convert it in to w/w%  then weigh 10ml of juice on weighing balance and substitute  volume (10ml juice)to weight of 10ml juice and calculate as With weight as  (w/w% = g citric acid/100 g of juice).

example Lemon juice has   on average 4.5% to 6% citric acid.

1 Like1 Thank

Thanks Sushil, very useful information.

For fruits as berries, because their juice is already redish, is there any indicator to carry out a manual titration??

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF 2.4.3.7 - Hazard Analysis In CFR 111 must we reconfirm suppliers certificate of analysis for flavors and color? NIAS analysis required for food PET bottles and PE closures How to calculate the juice content from formula? Passivation Acid vs CIP Sampling plan and risk analysis Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing PDCAAS (Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score) FSVP Hazard Analysis Gap Analysis between ISO 22K:2018 vs BRCGS v9/8 or IFS v7/6