What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

CO2 Testing of Flour

Started by , Oct 31 2014 04:26 AM
3 Replies

Hi All I am very new to the Food safety business, we mill flour and package to both Suppliers and customers.

Recently we have had a few complaints about the CO2 levels in our SR flour. Our suppliers want us to use a chittick apparatus or indicator testing to check the CO2 levels. We have the Chittick apparatus, but no one knows how to use it ( the manual is missing). I have searched the web and cannot find a basic manual or an basic answer to indicator testing. HELP please

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
New Amazon Dietary Supplement Testing Policy Heavy Metals Testing Unit Conversion Establishing Limits for Compressed Air Testing Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Specific Migration testing and the alternative - screening method
[Ad]

Hi All I am very new to the Food safety business, we mill flour and package to both Suppliers and customers.

Recently we have had a few complaints about the CO2 levels in our SR flour. Our suppliers want us to use a chittick apparatus or indicator testing to check the CO2 levels. We have the Chittick apparatus, but no one knows how to use it ( the manual is missing). I have searched the web and cannot find a basic manual or an basic answer to indicator testing. HELP please

Dear Kathryn Solomons.

CO2  being a gas, I'm surprised it's got any at all ? :smile:

Re - chittick -

http://www.accessdat....cfm?fr=137.180

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - the AOAC manual referred is available in almost all technical libraries. The basic method looks theoretically simple (flour + acid > CO2) but practically less so, as usual.

PPS - the first step for manuals is often to check the supplier, assuming the brand/model is not on the web..

CO2  being a gas, I'm surprised it's got any at all ? :smile:

I guess we are talking about the effectiveness of the bicarb(or baking powder or whatever) in the self raising flour in releasing CO2  ?

I don't have a food related Chittick method for this -but here is a similar one to that I used to use for soil- which might help in figuring out your method?!

I wouldn't have any idea of what quantity would need to be released for optimum performance though!!!

Mike

Thanks Guys, 

I have really struggled with this one.

The CO2 level we have to achieve is 0.65%, it is from the Aerobake ( cream of tartar/bicarb).

Apparently we bought it from a glass blower company, so am going to try to get hold of them for any extra info.

Similar Discussion Topics
New Amazon Dietary Supplement Testing Policy Heavy Metals Testing Unit Conversion Establishing Limits for Compressed Air Testing Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Specific Migration testing and the alternative - screening method Compressed air testing needed? Modified Atmospheric Packaging and Testing for Gaseous Contaminants Modified Atmospheric Packaging and Testing for Gaseous Contaminants Modified Atmospheric Packaging and Testing for Gaseous Contaminants Salmonella testing