What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

EU regulation 1169/2011

Started by , Nov 03 2014 10:25 AM
9 Replies

we are fresh tuna manufacturers and do we need to indicate histamine as allergen in label

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food safety regulation for carton ink Shipping of salted casings and water retention regulation FDA Regulation of Customer Reviews: DS Health Claims PFAS Regulation in US Maximum Residue Limits Regulation
[Ad]

It is preferably to write something like: "Histamine susceptible fish"

1 Thank

Sama,

It depends if Sri Lanka (Origin) considers Histamine an allergen and/or it depends if the person you are transporting(DC)/exporting(country) it to considers Histamine as an allergen. If either A or B are true then you MUST label Histamine as an allergen.

1 Thank

(Added later)

Apologies- I have just realised that the OP was asking an allergen question! (i should read properley before posting!!)

Histamine is not an allergen it is a toxin that causes allergen like symptoms-the difference is that elevated levels of histamine will affect everyone rather than just 'sensitive individuals'-therefore the answer to should histamine be included in allergen labelling is no!

As far as I am aware all tuna bound for the EU must be tested for histamine -- for example....see document  from Irish Fisheries Board

I am guessing that the limits that they have chosen would represent a 'safe level' (ie less than 100-200ppm) of histamine..... and if it is exceeded-then it wouldn't be allowed anyway?

Nine samples to be taken, of which: 

the average histamine content must be 
100mg/kg or less; 
no more than 2 samples may have levels 
between 100mg and 200mg/kg; and 
no sample may have a level above 
200mg/kg. 

Kind Regards

Mike

1 Thank

If I remember my fishery stuff and that is a big IF,  as I recall histamine is part of the death process and bacteria.  So the temperature has to be controlled immediately and thereafter so the bacteria that aids in the histamine process is not present. So if histamine is present, it means the fish has been subjected to temperature abuse. 

1 Like1 Thank

If I remember my fishery stuff and that is a big IF,  as I recall histamine is part of the death process and bacteria.  So the temperature has to be controlled immediately and thereafter so the bacteria that aids in the histamine process is not present. So if histamine is present, it means the fish has been subjected to temperature abuse. 

You're absolutely right Snookie.... the presence of histamine is as much an indication of freshness as it is anything else.

I'll need to do a bit of research about the labelling with my pelagic clients and come back to you Sama.

1 Thank

(Added later)

Apologies- I have just realised that the OP was asking an allergen question! (i should read properley before posting!!)

Histamine is not an allergen it is a toxin that causes allergen like symptoms-the difference is that elevated levels of histamine will affect everyone rather than just 'sensitive individuals'-therefore the answer to should histamine be included in allergen labelling is no!

As far as I am aware all tuna bound for the EU must be tested for histamine -- for example....see document  from Irish Fisheries Board

I am guessing that the limits that they have chosen would represent a 'safe level' (ie less than 100-200ppm) of histamine..... and if it is exceeded-then it wouldn't be allowed anyway?

Kind Regards

Mike

Thank you very much.It realy helps me.....

Please refer to http://www.fda.gov/d.../UCM251970.pdf chapter 7, related to Scombrotoxin (histamine)

We have to declare Fish (not histamine) in label as some consumer may have hypersensitivity to fish ( http://www.kidswithf...espre.php?id=50 )

Histamine is not an allergen and therefore it should not be declared on the label. you can find a list of allergens which, according to EU 1169/2011 must be declared on Annex II of the regulation.

http://eur-lex.europ...11R1169&from=EN

1 Thank

Histamine is not an allergen and therefore it should not be declared on the label. you can find a list of allergens which, according to EU 1169/2011 must be declared on Annex II of the regulation.

http://eur-lex.europ...11R1169&from=EN

:welcome:   Welcome to the forum. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Food safety regulation for carton ink Shipping of salted casings and water retention regulation FDA Regulation of Customer Reviews: DS Health Claims PFAS Regulation in US Maximum Residue Limits Regulation Plant-based Beverage Name Regulation Requesting help with CFIA SFCR regulation Is overweight allowed and underweight not allowed according to US regulation? Microbiological criteria for Instant Noodle based on EU regulation Regulation for Instant Noodle