What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Shatterproof light bulbs - To cover or not to cover

Started by , Nov 04 2014 09:49 PM
6 Replies

Hello Forum,

My boss just posed a question to me about whether or not a Damar shielded/shatterproof light bulb should have a cover or not.

The old covers are 35 years old and are not made at this time and the old ones are very brittle. Supposedly, the bulb will form a sealed ball if broken and will not leak any of the mercury from inside.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Implementing Shatterproof covers Shatterproof clocks Shatterproof Glass (11.2.3.4) Safety, heat resistance and shatterproof-ness of wired glass?
[Ad]

In previous plants where we had lights in the warehouse very high up over things like packaging and raw ingredients.   We had shatterproof bulbs.  FDA was okay with that as was USDA. 

Don't cover them!  We recently had a lot of our ceiling lights crash to the floor (earthquake) - all are shatter proof, a few had covers - the shatter proof ones were intact and easily cleanable, no issues, the ones with covers were the same - cept the covers didn't hold up as well. 

Here's a cool video about it.  I watched it with the sound off, but the good part starts at 42 seconds and there's a funny surprise at the end!

1 Thank

In previous plants where we had lights in the warehouse very high up over things like packaging and raw ingredients.   We had shatterproof bulbs.  FDA was okay with that as was USDA. 

Dear Snookie,

Shatterproof including collision with the ground ? Amazing. Seeing is believing I suppose. IMEX auditors always demand a cover even though half of them can't see that high in a cold room anyway. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

PS @Magenta_m - you need better covers, the sort that don't fall.. :smile:

I didn't know Hg was inside, no other options ? added - yes, there are.

It really depends on the situations. How far are the shatterproof bulbs from the exposed products? Any major risks pose to the final products? Whether it needs a cover depends on the risk assessment at your facility particularly about this issue. With light and light fitting controls, please also refer to 11.2.5.2. The goal is to make sure the final products are not affected by any risks of foreign material contaminations.

1 Thank

Dear Snookie,

Shatterproof including collision with the ground ? Amazing. Seeing is believing I suppose. IMEX auditors always demand a cover even though half of them can't see that high in a cold room anyway. :smile:

I personally don't know if they would survive hitting the ground as we never had that happened.  They had a pretty long life and usually we changed them but never had on fall. 

In MHO, we need to do everything we can to prevent problems and create safety, but life happens.  If I saw that a bulb had broken, common sense should tell me what to do.  I realize that those we work with may not know, but that is why it is so important to create a culture where safety is paramount and it is safe to ask questions and help is rewarded.  Not an easy achievement but possible. 

A possible issue is that the old covers are now a brittle plastic/glass hazard.  If the covers fall off, would they shatter?

Similar Discussion Topics
Implementing Shatterproof covers Shatterproof clocks Shatterproof Glass (11.2.3.4) Safety, heat resistance and shatterproof-ness of wired glass?