What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

BRC Standards Will Be Free To Download

Started by , Nov 11 2014 06:48 PM
20 Replies

I attended a webinar today run by SGS on BRC Issue 7, and the statement was made by a presenter from the BRC that starting in January with Issue 7, the standards will be free to download. 

We are still considering which GFSI scheme to adopt, so this will help out and save the cost of buying it to consider using it.  :thumbup:

Martha

1 Like4 Thanks
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Unable to download package Pallet treatment standards for a food facility EU and USFDA standards for residual disinfectant levels HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards
[Ad]

BRC stands alone as 'paid for' standards amongst GFSI standards such as SQF, FSSC, IFS etc.

With all standards vying for growth then it can be a simple deal breaker; it had to come.

BRC have sold a lot of standards over the years and at £90/$140 a go that's millions.

They will have to recoup it some other way...probablty through fees.

Thanks for the 'heads up' Martha.

BRC stands alone as 'paid for' standards amongst GFSI standards such as SQF, FSSC, IFS etc.

With all standards vying for growth then it can be a simple deal breaker; it had to come.

BRC have sold a lot of standards over the years and at £90/$140 a go that's millions.

They will have to recoup it some other way...probablty through fees.

Thanks for the 'heads up' Martha.

I think that the FSSC only tell you which ISO standards you have to use, but you have to buy the standards from ISO.  Maybe a little kickback there?

Martha

I think that the FSSC only tell you which ISO standards you have to use, but you have to buy the standards from ISO.  Maybe a little kickback there?

Martha

Perhaps a little OT, but for some reason Ethiopian Standards are identical to ISO standards (22000, 22006, 14000, etc)  and freely and legally available online, including the Ethiopian Standard 22000:2005  (https://law.resource.org/pub/et/ibr/)  - I like that they all start with this bit regarding free standards :

"In order to promote public education and public safety, equal justice for all, a better informed citizenry, the rule of law, world trade, and world peace, this legal document is hereby made available on a non commerical basis, as it is the rights of all humans to know and speak the laws that govern them."

Maybe BRC got that message.    I've been using their "DRAFT" v  7 standard.  It has "DRAFT" watermarked on it, but it's better than nothing.  Can't wait to be using an "official" copy.

The standard will only be free to download if you sign up for BRC Participate.  This is going to cost £95 per year for a subscription so technically you are paying for the standard but you are also able to download the guidance doc and a few others.  I'm currently in talks with management to see if it is something we want to do cause in the long run it may be beneficial.

Source of Information - I attended a conversion course in Scotland on Monday

WT* is BRC participate and do I need to? :silly:

WT* is BRC participate and do I need to? :silly:

See www.brcparticipate.com Website states following:

'BRC Participate is a powerful online information management system, and the most convenient and flexible way to access all the content produced by the BRC, including BRC Global Standards, Interpretation Guidelines, supporting publications, webinars, case studies, industry white papers, social media posts and more. 

All the information you need, in fact, to guide you through the certification process and help you gain and keep your certification. You can also interact with international colleagues in the BRC Participate discussion forum: an easy way to share your experiences and discuss your day-to-day challenges.

BRC Participate is an annual subscription based service and open to certificated sites, those manufacturers wanting to become certificated, and other groups involved with BRC Global Standards such as buyers, certification bodies, trainers, and consultants.'

There is also a link to a video which expands on the above.

"In order to promote public education and public safety, equal justice for all, a better informed citizenry, the rule of law, world trade, and world peace, this legal document is hereby made available on a non commerical basis, as it is the rights of all humans to know and speak the laws that govern them."

Maybe BRC got that message.    I've been using their "DRAFT" v  7 standard.  It has "DRAFT" watermarked on it, but it's better than nothing.  Can't wait to be using an "official" copy.

Me too Magenta, Cant wait for an official copy! Im hesitant to put my notes all over the draft version knowing Im going to have to transfer most of them when the new version comes out.

Dear All,

I suppose, as per products on the net, the download is free. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Just been to a mis-represented 'conversion' course but that's another story.

BRC standard is  free if you sign up for BRC participate which costs the same as the standard use to... The world wearies me :uhm:

1 Like

BRC participate was targeted to go live on the 17th November 2014 and a video is available here http://ll1.workcast....Participate.mp4. I am trying to see if I can get a sign up to it today. I saw it at the BRC Food Safety Conference in London last month and I have to say I was impressed with it. Apparently you can still get a hard copy if you want and access to all the new e-learning content and other free guides so at that price its a steal. The other big advantage is that when there are changes to the non core areas of the standard (e.g. bolt on audits) they can easily be updated and people informed. Its definitely the way to go in my opinion.

Dear mrHACCP,

Thanks for yr input.

Indeed some people might say that it's literally a steal. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

BRC participate was targeted to go live on the 17th November 2014 and a video is available here http://ll1.workcast....Participate.mp4. I am trying to see if I can get a sign up to it today. I saw it at the BRC Food Safety Conference in London last month and I have to say I was impressed with it. Apparently you can still get a hard copy if you want and access to all the new e-learning content and other free guides so at that price its a steal. The other big advantage is that when there are changes to the non core areas of the standard (e.g. bolt on audits) they can easily be updated and people informed. Its definitely the way to go in my opinion.

OMG right from the get go. Is that QC/inspector/associate seriously wearing a fur collared coat??? Good thing she's wearing a hairnet though wouldn't want real hair in my food. Good luck trying to explain that white hair didn't come from a cat, rat, or polar bear.

All that apart. This looks like an awesome tool.

Bolt on audit?? Ie Asda unannounced ??? Still costs us !!!! 

Is anything free in this world. :dunno:

Is anything free in this world. :dunno:

SQF, other than the paracetamol, beta-blockers and hair coloring.

Charles

PS -and the Practitioner Charge.

1 Like

Dear all, they are all free to download on your computer from BRC bookshops online, you can get those pdf version free to download , but a cannot print, as the print button is disabled.

1 Thank

Dear all, they are all free to download on your computer from BRC bookshops online, you can get those pdf version free to download , but a cannot print, as the print button is disabled.

Yup!  http://www.brcbooksh...e-6-uk-free-pdf

The copy I downloaded seems printable?  At least my "print" button isn't locked?   Straight from the $0.00 download, attached.  No password, although the website says if you have purchased a PDF, the password is    Swordfish    .... so... very secure of them to use one password and share it on the internet?  Mine wasn't locked so I don't even know if using Swordfish would have worked. 

I could print mine out also.  Try doing a Save-as in another location.

Martha

That's Correct you can print BRC GFSI standards that one, but for other standards like BRC Iop & BRC Storage and distribution its locked for printing..

If you really want a print version of a restricted PDF file, you can  open it with Google drive & print from there. 

But obviously you wouldn't do such a thing with the packaging standard :)

Similar Discussion Topics
Unable to download package Pallet treatment standards for a food facility EU and USFDA standards for residual disinfectant levels HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards RTD Coffee Processing Standards GFSI Certified and Allergen Free Repacking Radiological Free statement from supplier Hands-Free water tap risk assessment