What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Advice for Removing Mold Toxins

Started by , Nov 24 2014 01:32 AM
1 Reply

Hi!

I'm new to this forum and was hoping to get some advice on dealing with mold toxins. I often buy food in bulk, and even if I store and preserve early on, some will either develop mold, or already have mold on it. (I can't see every potato in a bulk bag when I buy it.) I hate wasting food, but I don't want to put myself at risk for health problems.

What I've read:

-Mold can be killed with vinegar, vitamin C, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide

-It's safe to cut moldy parts off of denser foods with low water content, because the mold is more likely to be localized around the visible moldy area

-Food with high water content, like tomatoes, likely have mold throughout even if there's only one furry area because we can't see the roots of the mold at first

-The most dangerous part of mold is the toxins produced, which are less temperature sensitive and often won't be killed by cooking

I tried to find a solid answer on whether some of the things that kill mold will also remove the toxins, but I couldn't find a straight answer, and I don't trust most forums. Mostly I'm curious if pickling would make food safe to eat. I already wash most of my food with a solution of white vinegar to prevent growth of bacteria and molds, and I'm as careful as possible with picking food out, but I figure this knowledge might come in handy in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Advice about employing a BRC Consultant Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role Seeking advice transitioning our HACCP plan into an SQF program
[Ad]

You could spray, or dive  the product, witha a solution of natamycin, which is a natural fungicide

Similar Discussion Topics
Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Advice about employing a BRC Consultant Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role Seeking advice transitioning our HACCP plan into an SQF program Advice on becoming a food safety auditor FSVP Need advice on how to proceed Food Defense Monitoring Advice Advice for maintaining bathroom and toilet hygiene Need Advice for Unannounced Audit Planning