What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Metal Detector Reject Systems - Alternatives to "isolate"

Started by , Jan 29 2015 03:40 PM
2 Replies

In need of creative solutions...

Gearing up for our SQF certification audit (Level 2) and dealing with the metal detector reject system, or lack thereof. SQF requires that any food that passes through a foreign material detector and has foreign material detected must be isolated by the detector equipment. For background, our line moves slowly and may have 5" up to 16" pieces moving through it.

It has been three months since first bringing this up with Engineering and they have yet to act. Does anyone know of an alternative to the typical paddle/air nozzel/retractable belt into a "REJECT" box that only trained CCP monitors can access? I was imagining a spray nozzel with dentaurant dye that could spray on a timer. Our packaging line is very manual so about 5 sets of hands would physically touch that product before it could be put in a finished package.

Shoot me down or provide ideas! I appreciate!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Metal detector rejects
[Ad]

What an interesting idea!  I am don't know if it would be accepted or not, my shoot from the hip answer is not as the goal is to get it off the line without human beings involved.  This would mark the package but an inattentive person could still box it if you will.  But it is very creative thinking and I could be wrong.  Can't wait to see what others say. 

Interesting issue -
Key is isolation - not attainable by your description
If you use a dye to stain the packaging, what would happen with a clog in the nozzle or lack of ink/dye.
Just like a reject system it needs to be verified and then validated as working system.
Do you think you can defend this?
If you add a strobe light or alarm to alert all in the room, it may help as all will be aware.

Similar Discussion Topics
Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Metal detector rejects Metal detectable Infrared thermometer? Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration Metal Detector Validation Can you get SQF Certification without a Metal Detector? Metal Detection for Mac and Cheese Cartons Containing Foil Pouches