What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

PAS 223: 9 - Is a Certificate of Analysis enough in this situation?

Started by , Mar 03 2015 06:44 AM
4 Replies

I just recently conducted a Food Safety Audit of a FSSC 22000 certified Bottling Plant.

I noticed that only a written Certificate of Analysis (CoA)is given by their customer.

The CoA states that Syrup A and B are safe to use per their company product specifications.

I believe that the Bottling Plant is non-compliant per PAS 223: 9 Purchased materials and services.

Per PAS 223: 9 Purchased materials and services

Raw materials shall be inspected, tested or covered by CoA/CoC to verify conformance to specified requirements prior to acceptance or use. The method of verification shall be documented.

There is no way for them to verify that the ingredients/chemicals used in Syrup A and Syrup B is within product specifications.

Your comments are highly appreciated.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Third party audit certificate redacted SQF 2.4.3.7 - Hazard Analysis Calibration Certificate Expiration In CFR 111 must we reconfirm suppliers certificate of analysis for flavors and color? NIAS analysis required for food PET bottles and PE closures
[Ad]

Hi,

Are there any microbial specs stated? If yes, and they complies, then it is OK

Thanks for the comment.

Just to clarify, the customer of the contract bottling toller never mention any micro, chemical or ingredients specs in their CoA.

Only a general statement " the their raw materials is to safe to use per their specifications"

Thanks for the comment.

Just to clarify, the customer of the contract bottling toller never mention any micro, chemical or ingredients specs in their CoA.

Only a general statement " the their raw materials is to safe to use per their specifications"

I presume "customer" = supplier.

The intention of a CoA is to show that the delivered product complies with (appropriate) specifications.

This requires (a) analytical lot data and (b) evidence of compliance, ie a specification with limits for the relevant parameters.

It is possible that you are studying a CoC which can be a less definitive document than a CoA. Sometimes, arguably,  too much less. :smile:

Whatever, there should be a mutually agreed / signed product specification. It's supplier 101.

Rgds / Charles.C

You're right when you presume the customer = "supplier"

Thanks Charles for the input.

Similar Discussion Topics
Third party audit certificate redacted SQF 2.4.3.7 - Hazard Analysis Calibration Certificate Expiration In CFR 111 must we reconfirm suppliers certificate of analysis for flavors and color? NIAS analysis required for food PET bottles and PE closures Sampling plan and risk analysis FSVP Hazard Analysis Gap Analysis between ISO 22K:2018 vs BRCGS v9/8 or IFS v7/6 Requesting a Certificate of Insurance from suppliers What is an underlying 2024 producers certificate?