What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SPC limits for Environmental Swabs in Vegetable Processing

Started by , Apr 09 2015 02:25 AM
2 Replies

Hi All,

I work in a Vegetable Processing Factory. The SPC counts appear to be above 100cfu/swab on some equipment but the coliform and Listeria counts are all within limits. Even our products test results are excellent. As I do not have good knowledge on Food Microbiology, I was hoping to understand if there is a cause for concern?

Is the possible to increase the limit to 1000 as the limit may be too low taking into consideration the products processed have a high natural flora?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Zone 1,2,3 Limits in various facilities Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Ambient air micro (APC, Y&M) limits Establishing Limits for Compressed Air Testing
[Ad]

Hello SmitaM !

Thanks for yr query and Welcome to the Forum !

A direct answer to yr query requires knowledge of the surface area used for the swab, preferably in cm2.

I suggest you have a look at the intro. and compilation of micro.limits for surfaces here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ces/#entry60958

I hope that yr Listeria counts are "undetectable". :smile:

Hi - we have 100CFU / cm2 as our limit for our TPC swabs also.

But remember these swabs are only as an indicator.......if we get one that is above 100cfu/cm2 then we monitor it and review the cleaning for that area or point.

If it trends, then we start to monitor it and review and upgrade the cleaning and look for root cause.

If you are getting really high results on certain points you need to understand why....and then minimise or remove that risk.

I wouldn't be overly concerned if a swab came up over 100cfu/cm2 (within reason.....you don't want them pushing 1000cfu/cm2)

A good way is to set green, amber and red zones. We have green up to 30cfu/cm2 and then amber up to 90cfu/cm2.

Similar Discussion Topics
Zone 1,2,3 Limits in various facilities Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Ambient air micro (APC, Y&M) limits Establishing Limits for Compressed Air Testing Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility MOSH MOAH limits in Germany Magnets used in plastics packaging processing Are hair nets necessary in an enclosed processing room? Environmental Monitoring guidance Seafood facility