What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Allergen Storage in Produce Facility

Started by , Apr 24 2015 11:27 AM
3 Replies

Question about allergen storage in a produce facility...

can allergens be stored next one another? (i.e. a skid of eggs is stored next to a skid of onions)

further more, can i store a skid of eggs on the 2nd tier of racking and underneath of those stored eggs, is another product? 

our allergens are always stored in closed packaging...

We are a produce distributor (we don't cut, slice, or dice, only split cases i.e. 1 case of lemons into two 1/2 cases)

striving for SQF, Level 2, Storage and Distribution 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management
[Ad]

This is often a problem in many facilities due to the plant size. 

I believe as long as the area is segregated as best as possible (allergen signs, caution tape, labeled) in one section racks there should not have issues.

As far as storing above is a no-no,

Have one sections ALL EGGS, another ALL PEANUTS, etc. 

Hello MRCRSHART,

I believe there will be no problem on the current practices you are doing as long as your practices is religiously implemented and well documented.

Here is my additional suggestion to support your practices check your system if you have Allergen Management System which including but not limited to the following allergen mapping, production plan sequence base on presence of allergen in the product, allergen declaration from raw materials, allergen declaration in the packaging and cleaning procedure to control or manage allergen.

Hope it could help you.

Thanks,

Factory Hygienist

"can allergens be stored next one another? (i.e. a skid of eggs is stored next to a skid of onions)"

Eggs are an allergen, onions are not.

Similar Discussion Topics
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management Allergen Management Plan Lychee Nut Management as an Allergen Allergen Risk Assessment Carryover Non Allergen Allergen Label Checks