What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Shelf life validity of the food product

Started by , May 11 2015 10:14 AM
6 Replies

Hello All,

Needed some info, If I am using an ingredient which has a shelf life of only a year but my finished product has a shelf life of 3 years. Is this valid or how should I justify the usage of the ingredient in my product.

Thanks in advance.

Consulti

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Shelf Life of Primary Packaging Cause of condensation in shelf stable dressing cup Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Shelf Life Testing Risk Assessment Milk powder - short shelf life
[Ad]

Hello All,

Needed some info, If I am using an ingredient which has a shelf life of only a year but my finished product has a shelf life of 3 years. Is this valid or how should I justify the usage of the ingredient in my product.

Thanks in advance.

Consulti

Logic would suggest to assume a worst case scenario.

Dear conslti  

making jam from fruit pulp have self life only one day but jam have more than two years self life

Dear Consulti,

This really depends on your ingredients, products and processes.

see this example for raw material cooked ham

Slices of cooked ham on a ready to eat sandwich. The sandwich shall not exceed the shelf life of the slices ham. Probably the shelf life of the sandwich will be shorter.

Diced cooked ham in a meal salad, packed in a inlay tray and MAP packed. The shelf life will be as long as the shelf life of the ham cubes.

Diced cooked ham in ready to eat pasta meal, hot filled or pasteurized and MAP packed.The shelf life of the finished product will be longer than the shelf life of the ham cubes.

Diced cooked ham in a sterilized soup ambient stable, will have a very long shelf life which exceed the shelf life of the raw material cooked ham.

Hi Madame A. D-tor,

I think yr comparison/conclusions may relate to whether a Use-By or Best Before labelling is in use.

agree with Madame A. D-tor.

and you can do simulation or shelf life test using acellerated Shelf Test method.

Rgds

AS Nur

Best option is to conduct an accelerated shelf life study and find out the correct shelf life for the final product.

Similar Discussion Topics
Shelf Life of Primary Packaging Cause of condensation in shelf stable dressing cup Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Shelf Life Testing Risk Assessment Milk powder - short shelf life Shelf life of vacuumed rainbow trout fillets Pasteurizing Chilli Relish to extend shelf life Shelf life issue fresh fish Shelf Life Standards Shelf life testing of beef and chicken donair meat