What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is Direct Observation required in SQF if not required by regulatory?

Started by , Jun 05 2015 05:48 PM
4 Replies

I know as part of HACCP through for high risk processes, direct observation is required to verify CCPs and PRPs. In a low risk facility that is not governed by these rules (USDA/FSIS/FDA) are direct observations as part of your verification required for SQF? The phrase "direct observation" isn't even used in the entire SQF Code 7.2. I want to make sure I'm reading on this correctly. Anyone else have any experience with auditors for SQF on this?

We're a paper converting facility making paper products for restaurant industry. Low risk, SQF Certified Level 2.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Is wearing of steel toe shoes required on the plant floor? NIAS analysis required for food PET bottles and PE closures Required Food Safety Training for Employees Under FSSC 22000 Are 3 month required documents for SQF Audit? Is Water testing required for SQF Storage and Distribution site?
[Ad]

It can be and is used as part of the validation and verification process and there is a lot of that in SQF :ejut:

It can be and is used as part of the validation and verification process and there is a lot of that in SQF :ejut:

It can be if I say I'm doing direct observation but if I don't say I'm doing direct observation for verification purposes I can verify by record review or perform direct observation less frequently along with record review correct? If I use direct observation for validation purposes could I successfully complete it twice a year and be ok?

I think it would depend on your process.  I just took an advanced HACCP class and my head is still sorting out terminology. 

Here's how we define our observations:

Monitoring - someone is actually observing and recording.

Verification - someone else (usually supervisor or manager) is check that the monitoring is being done correctly.

Validation - upper management is looking at trend charts to make sure the control is working.

Similar Discussion Topics
Is wearing of steel toe shoes required on the plant floor? NIAS analysis required for food PET bottles and PE closures Required Food Safety Training for Employees Under FSSC 22000 Are 3 month required documents for SQF Audit? Is Water testing required for SQF Storage and Distribution site? What supplier documentation is required when using Aluminium Foil as Primary Packaging? What kind of Verification is required for Maintenance and Sanitation? Can I use up current packaging or is new required if the product formulation has changed? SQF-2.4.8 - Is an Environmental Program Required? SQF regulatory recall