What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What distance should food or conveyor be off the floor?

Started by , Jun 12 2015 01:38 PM
4 Replies

Is anyone aware of a regulation or industry standard for the distance food and/or equipment carrying food (i.e. conveyor belt) should be off the floor?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? food safety 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention Repackaging of Food Grade product
[Ad]

Is anyone aware of a regulation or industry standard for the distance food and/or equipment carrying food (i.e. conveyor belt) should be off the floor?

Hi mwedel,

Regulatory numbers are elusive, eg FDA –

We recommend that to prevent contamination of RF-RTE foods and food-contact surfaces from floor splash, you should sufficiently elevate food-contact surfaces (including conveyors) above the floor.

http://www.fda.gov/F...P/ucm073110.htm

(LINK now > general search page, added Charles.C,161020)

Mettler’s Guideline -  

Product contact areas are 18” above the floor minimum floor clearance of 12” - prevents splash and makes clean out easier.

mettler - White Paper Sanitary Design.pdf   984KB   114 downloads

i guess it may depend somewhat on the specific situation.

General rule is at least 6 inches from the floor to allow access for cleaning. May need to be higher if there is overflow water, etc., that reduce the 6 inch separation and pose rsik of contamination.

Imholte publishes a good book on food plant design.

Here are some links to published standards.

Unversity of Florida IFAS Extension Service:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.../FS/FS11900.pdf

USDA Guidelines for Sanitary Design:

http://www.ams.usda....STELPRDC5048589

(LINK now > general search page, added Charles.C,161020)

Hi FSQCBiz,

Thks for the links.

IMEX, the problem with conveyors is that (rightly or wrongly) they are frequently semi-exposed to the floor, cf. the example on Pg6 of Florida link.

I cannot see any numerical suggestion for  food-contact surfaces in above documents in respect to contamination from the floor. (similar problem to which i previously experienced :smile: ).

It seemed to me that the 6in.(G1a) mentioned in 2nd link is unrelated ?

To add to the previous posts the design of the conveyor is a consideration such as if it prevents contamination from splashes from the floor.

Regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? food safety 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention Repackaging of Food Grade product Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Food safety culture plan Food contact surfaces