What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Hello and I could use some advice

Started by , Jun 24 2015 02:14 AM
5 Replies

Hello everyone!

I have been working for a produce processor for the last year and a half.  We are revamping our SQF paperwork and I was wondering if anyone might have some advice on how often we should environmental testing.  Right now we are planning on testing every other month for Listeria and E.Coli but that interval is pretty much arbitrary.  

Thanks in advance for the help and its great to be here with all of you!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Advice about employing a BRC Consultant Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role Seeking advice transitioning our HACCP plan into an SQF program
[Ad]

:welcome:

It is arbitrary, every two months may be sufficient, if you get fails then you will need to investigate and increase your frequency.

You can supplement this pathogen testing by monitoring the environment using TPC/TVC, Entero & Yeast/Mould tests.

Regards,

Tony

You need to do a risk analysis to validate that every other month is adequate.  An environmental monitoring program should be designed to find harborage areas and eliminate them before it becomes a risk in your product, not merely to satisfy SQF requirements.  If Listeria and E. Coli are not high risk for your environment and product, then every other month may be sufficient, but you need to justify it.

I'd highly recommend developing a chart of your facility with food contact surfaces, non-food contact surfaces, critical and non-critical. 

It would be helpful to know more about the product.  Is this ready-to-eat refrigerated produce?  Are you processing it into a juice?  Are you merely washing and sorting whole produce?

The FDA has some excellent resources available. 

Determine if product in question supports the growth of listeria:

http://www.fda.gov/I...l/ucm136694.htm

Information on frequency for Listeria monitoring:

http://www.fda.gov/F...110.htm#monitor

(critical food-contact surfaces should be tested at least once each month; critical non-food-contact surfaces at least each quarter)

FDA's information for Listeria in refrigerated RTE foods:

http://www.fda.gov/F...P/ucm073110.htm

1 Like1 Thank

Welcome, CupONoodles!  :welcome:

Enjoy your time here - you are sure to receive awesome input from all the fantastic people on this forum.

~Emily~

Hello and welcome CupONoodles.

:welcome:

Did you get an answer to your question?

Regards,

Simon

Yes the links posted are very helpful!  Thank you all!  I apologies for taking so long to respond its been crazy busy.

Similar Discussion Topics
Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Advice about employing a BRC Consultant Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role Seeking advice transitioning our HACCP plan into an SQF program Advice on becoming a food safety auditor FSVP Need advice on how to proceed Food Defense Monitoring Advice Advice for maintaining bathroom and toilet hygiene Need Advice for Unannounced Audit Planning