What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Egg Production: Verification of SSOP's

Started by , Jul 23 2015 06:58 PM
2 Replies

Hello,

New to the egg production industry; understanding that egg pose a low risk due to their natural barrier... I was wondering if anyone uses any type of rapid microbial testing for the processing equipment, to verify the effectiveness of their SSOP's?  We are working toward SQF Level 2 Certification and I have read studies on the effectiveness of sanitation programs in the shell egg industry, but I am concerned that the innate barriers of the egg, sanitation procedures, egg cleaning in-process and temperature control after processing may not be enough justification for this. 

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks,

Dan

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Fumes in the Production Facility Using cattle salt-non food grade on a food production line Production Personnel Wearing Finger Nail Polish and Gloves
[Ad]

We use the Neogen Reveal testing kits.  We have several allergens we test for - egg, soy, dairy, sesame, peanut, etc.  We have been using these kits as our validation for several years now and haven't had any issues.

1 Thank

We use the Neogen Reveal testing kits.  We have several allergens we test for - egg, soy, dairy, sesame, peanut, etc.  We have been using these kits as our validation for several years now and haven't had any issues.

Thanks for the reply ncwingnut.  I have used Neogen and Hygeina swabs at a previous employer too.  I guess what I am getting at is specifically in regard to the shell egg production/packaging industry. And whether or not I need to perform this extra step.  It would definitely work as a verification and validation system....but is it necessary to go that extra step in this particular scenario?  Additionally, the company is being resistant on spending the $$ on anything that's not necessary too!

Similar Discussion Topics
Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Fumes in the Production Facility Using cattle salt-non food grade on a food production line Production Personnel Wearing Finger Nail Polish and Gloves Specifications for Micro Testing of Water used in Food Production Verification & Validation - scheduling, methods, etc. Inhalers in production rooms Suitable Flashlights for Inspections by the Production Team What kind of Verification is required for Maintenance and Sanitation?