What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Acceptable Distance of Covered Dumpsters from Building

Started by , Jul 24 2015 08:34 PM
6 Replies

Looking for some insight. Our garbage dumpster is approx.50 yards from our building. We are a package making company meaning we have no actual food going into the dumpster other than what gets disposed of at break times. I can argue that the distance is far enough away from my building to be of concern. However, prior to me coming on board here they had "someone" tell them it had to be covered. No one recalls who the someone was. Any insight/thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Brian

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment What are acceptable limits for compressed air testing for raw frozen beef steaks? Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Acceptable level of Bacillus bacteria in the environment EMP Are black safety shoes acceptable in a food plant?
[Ad]

Looking for some insight. Our garbage dumpster is approx.50 yards from our building. We are a package making company meaning we have no actual food going into the dumpster other than what gets disposed of at break times. I can argue that the distance is far enough away from my building to be of concern. However, prior to me coming on board here they had "someone" tell them it had to be covered. No one recalls who the someone was. Any insight/thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Food Hygiene >> Packaging

No access = minimum risk cross-contamination. Just like your house ?

Wikipedia offers an additional reason :smile:

https://en.wikipedia...i/Garbage_truck

Hi Brian,

My only thought is that 50 yards, (or 45 meters for us Europeans) is a hell of a distance for a dumpster from your facility boundary (I assume).

Perhaps the 'someone' has a stake in Dumpster-R-Us Inc.

Yeh. It exists  :shades:.

P.

It's 50 yards from our building, yes. About 95% of our trash is non-recyclable card board. We still bale it, and put it in the dumpster. There is foliage and a small creek closer to the back of the building than our dumpster is...

Brian, I am not sure about MO but here in MN it is the pollution control agency that dictates that our dumpster is to be covered.  It is so the rain water does not carry contaminents from your dumpster and pollute the ground water via storm runoff

G

1 Thank

Hmmm, good point! I'll have to look into that side of it! Thank you!

Brian, I am not sure about MO but here in MN it is the pollution control agency that dictates that our dumpster is to be covered.  It is so the rain water does not carry contaminents from your dumpster and pollute the ground water via storm runoff

G

(2) All dumpsters shall be waterproof, leak proof, and covered at all times except when depositing waste therein or removing the contents thereof.

And there we have it folks! It's actually a city Ordinance here. Not sure how they have gotten away with it this long without it being covered!

Thank you gfdoucette07!

Similar Discussion Topics
Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment What are acceptable limits for compressed air testing for raw frozen beef steaks? Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Acceptable level of Bacillus bacteria in the environment EMP Are black safety shoes acceptable in a food plant? IFS 3.3.3 - What is acceptable as a training signature? Is a signature stamp acceptable for use in the food safety plan? Standard Plate Count acceptable results Acceptable Peroxide Values in Palm Free Stabilizer Color deviation acceptable range