What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Preparing for Level 2 Certification-Question

Started by , Sep 22 2015 08:17 PM
5 Replies

Hi everyone,

A little background- I am employed with a small company, less than 30 employees. Daily operations are directly handled by the owners (2). There are two office personnel, the remainder of the employees are involved in production-of them there are 3-4 supervisors. I am the only QA person- confronted with the task of initiating, implementing, undergoing an audit, and hopefully the end result will be a good score and a certification!

This will most likely be the first of many question from me...

I am working on the materials register and was hoping for some clarification. (specifically referring to 2.3.2.1/2.3.2.7). 

Firstly, do we need one of each-a specification, a letter of guarantee, and evidence of a third party audit? Or will one of the three suffice?

If all are required, will things like an organic certification be adequate for a third party audit?

Additionally, with raw ingredients (ie rice, beans, ect), obviously these specs will vary from crop to crop, shipment to shipment. Must this be accounted for each and every time a different shipment is received? 

This whole thing is very daunting. I am hoping my employer will send me to a SQF certification course so I can add formal training to my working knowledge. (!)

Thank you all in advance for your help! This is a very useful site, and I appreciate it's existence! 

-Kristen

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Preparing for on site Bacillus testing Template for preparing emergency preparedness assessment and drills procedure Need help preparing an environment monitoring program Consequences of a late GMP audit while preparing a BRC audit Sample documents for preparing a risk-based environmental monitoring program
[Ad]

Hi Kristen, "materials" has a very wide scope, so normally a business will categorize these materials under risk groupings and then different levels of supplier quality assurance activities and documentation will be required.  If you can list out your materials and perhaps group them under headings here we can guide you on what would be expected.

Regards,

Simon

1 Thank

Simon, thank you for your response!

I have attached the document I am working from to help clarify. 

This list includes all raw materials, ingredients, processing aids and contact packing. 

Attached Files

1 Thank

There is no certification course, there is however an SQF Implementation course.

You may of course want to consider asking your employer for a experienced registered SQF Consultant to assist you. Makes for a fast development and ease of implementation and then certification support.  

"will things like an organic certification be adequate for a third party audit?"

Likely not, particularly if you are using it as evidence the supplier provides safe food.  Organic inspection is a different scope than a food safety audit.

I have been ok thus far using the supplier's letter of guaranty and evidence of fda registration, in addition to specification, incoming COA, etc.  I don't know how long that will last.  Anyone have thoughts on 3rd party audit evidence of your ingredient suppliers?  Are you seeing it as a requirement?  A requirement in the near future?

Hi everyone,

A little background- I am employed with a small company, less than 30 employees. Daily operations are directly handled by the owners (2). There are two office personnel, the remainder of the employees are involved in production-of them there are 3-4 supervisors. I am the only QA person- confronted with the task of initiating, implementing, undergoing an audit, and hopefully the end result will be a good score and a certification!

This will most likely be the first of many question from me...

I am working on the materials register and was hoping for some clarification. (specifically referring to 2.3.2.1/2.3.2.7). 

Firstly, do we need one of each-a specification, a letter of guarantee, and evidence of a third party audit? Or will one of the three suffice?

If all are required, will things like an organic certification be adequate for a third party audit?

Additionally, with raw ingredients (ie rice, beans, ect), obviously these specs will vary from crop to crop, shipment to shipment. Must this be accounted for each and every time a different shipment is received? 

This whole thing is very daunting. I am hoping my employer will send me to a SQF certification course so I can add formal training to my working knowledge. (!)

Thank you all in advance for your help! This is a very useful site, and I appreciate it's existence! 

-Kristen

The answer yes.

Firstly, do we need one of each-

a specification, - Required for you Product Hazard Assessment. HACCP Plan.

a letter of guarantee - Require for the validation  for your Approved Supplier Program.

evidence of a third party audit? -  Verification and Internal Audit for your Approved Supplier Program.

If all are required, will things like an organic certification be adequate for a third party audit? - Verification and Validation of the SQF System.

raw ingredients (ie rice, beans, ect), obviously these specs will vary from crop to crop, shipment to shipment. Must this be accounted for each and every time a different shipment is received? 

If for you have a good Product Hazard Assessment  this will not problem because you are following your product specifications parameters.  If you have a drastic change; then, HACCP reassessment and verification to prove the affected or unaffected production process.

Kirsten,

Please read in red above.

I am not an expert but I hope it helps. The worst part is to start. Once established, it is matter of maintained.  It is not an easy road!!! :shades:

Kellio

Similar Discussion Topics
Preparing for on site Bacillus testing Template for preparing emergency preparedness assessment and drills procedure Need help preparing an environment monitoring program Consequences of a late GMP audit while preparing a BRC audit Sample documents for preparing a risk-based environmental monitoring program We are preparing for FSSC 22000 certfication; yet I still don't know what documents are required? Who is usually responsible for preparing the TACCP plan? Preparing for an unannounced SQF Audit with multiple sites Start-up Checklist for Preparing a New Facility for SQF? Preparing for our upcoming SQF site audit