What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Flaking black specs from beams contaminating food contact surfaces

Started by , Oct 20 2015 09:59 PM
7 Replies

Recently, during pre-op I have experienced black specs on some of the food contact tables in the processing rooms.  I have located one source as a long beam running along the wall about halfway between the ceiling and the floor.  It has a black flaking material on it.  Is there an adhesive material or other option that I could use to cover the beam and prevent this from happening.  I am still looking for other sources as well in the other processing rooms.  We have cleaned all of the overhead cooling units to remove black dust particles.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Covering Steel Beams that are flaking off paint
[Ad]

Recently, during pre-op I have experienced black specs on some of the food contact tables in the processing rooms.  I have located one source as a long beam running along the wall about halfway between the ceiling and the floor.  It has a black flaking material on it.  Is there an adhesive material or other option that I could use to cover the beam and prevent this from happening.  I am still looking for other sources as well in the other processing rooms.  We have cleaned all of the overhead cooling units to remove black dust particles.

Hi vstevenson,

I suggest to cover or wrap it with thin stainless sheet. Not expensive, hygienic, and looks impressive. Also IMEX a  popular solution to degrading walls.

What is the beam made of?

cant you policsh the beam and remove all the flaking material?

Charles' advise is the best to wrap it in SS... or put a overhead plexi cover to deter anything falling  directly on  the line..

Agree Stainless would be best.  We coat all of our walls, ceilings, columns and beams with a fiberglass coating.  It has been on for 20 years with out trouble.

G

1 Like1 Thank

You mentioned fiberglass coating - do you coat overhead beams with this material?

Yes- coat walls, ceilings, beams columns, old steel tanks and more.  It works on poured concrete, block, galzed block, wood. The only thing we are having trouble with is the glass block (popular here in 60's as natural light in exterior walls), they have a product that will stick to the glass well but not the grout and one that sticks to the grout well but not the glass! 

G

Thanks.  Well, if you can show that your fiberglass coating is "food safe" that should do the trick.

Similar Discussion Topics
Covering Steel Beams that are flaking off paint