What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

HACCP for grains

Started by , Nov 18 2015 01:54 PM
3 Replies

Hello, 

We are introducing a line of whole grains intended to be ground into flour and used for cooking.

Because this is an ingredient that will be cooked, should I forgo control measures for microorganisms at unsafe levels, as the flour will be cooked at a temperature that kills any microorganisms?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
HACCP certification for SQG Ed 9.0 - System Element 2.1.1.5 HACCP Training for Flexible Packaging Industry No CCPs in a HACCP Plan - Can This Be Possible? Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? Fair Price to charge for developing 2 HACCP plans
[Ad]

Hi snichols,

I am not sure from a HACCP standpoint that it is not a good idea to skip control measures for micro-organisms, because not all flour is baked with afterwards.

Here is a recipe for No Bake Cookie Dough Truffles that includes flour, but is never baked: http://www.gotchocol...dough-truffles/

It might be a different story if your company is the one that is doing the baking though. 

I would also like to add that if you are baking these items with this flour in house, and know that this is an adequate step to kill the micro-organisms, then I think it would fit well in your HACCP plan. As long as your company only plans to use it as a baking process there, you are just putting your CCP of baking to a "specific degree" for "allotted amount of time" later in the process. You don't need two kill steps then. At least that is my interpretation of the HACCP process.

Hi snichols

some details needed. Time/temperature Profile? Water content? Does cooked means cooked in water?

Flour can be cntaminated with Bacillus cereus which is not easy to inactivate

Rgds

moskito

Similar Discussion Topics
HACCP certification for SQG Ed 9.0 - System Element 2.1.1.5 HACCP Training for Flexible Packaging Industry No CCPs in a HACCP Plan - Can This Be Possible? Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? Fair Price to charge for developing 2 HACCP plans HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree HACCP Flow charts and 'confidentiality' Implementing HACCP/BRC for a Logistics Company Is HACCP broken? How would I verify my HACCP Plan for new product?