What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What does it mean to be a USDA plant?

Started by , Nov 23 2015 07:50 PM
3 Replies

Hello all,

I have come under some confusion, perhaps its simpler than I'm making it, so it's a silly question.

I'm getting customer questionnaires to fill out, they have asked if we're a USDA plant?  That's strange because we only provide spices.  And as far as I can tell these customers only do spices.  So, my response would be no, we're subject to FDA regulations.  Am I missing something?  Why are they asking if we're a USDA plant?

Thanks!  Sorry for the confusion....

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor Is wearing of steel toe shoes required on the plant floor? Help with Process Development for Dressings, Sauce, Dips Plant USDA and pork broth
[Ad]

Hi 3esa,

Maybe your customer is a little confused about the role of the USDA. The USDA focuses on meat and poultry products., not spices. Unless there is something in your production where you use some type of meat, poultry or eggs, you wouldn't be overseen by the USDA.

http://www.allgov.co...epartmentID=568

1 Thank

I also think that customers send out generic questionnaires and assume that you won't fill out any section that does not apply.  I've gotten a few lately as well and we make powdered cellulose additives.  Usually they ask both, if you are registered with the FDA and if you are a USDA plant.  I'd ignore that section, and if they come back to you, tell them that you are not USDA.

Martha

1 Thank

If you were regulated by USDA (actually FSIS within USDA), you would have been issued a P# for poultry or a M# for meat which you would have to notate on all regulated products' packaging. MWindra is correct, most questionnaires are generic. I just mark those questions that don't apply as N/A.

KTD

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor Is wearing of steel toe shoes required on the plant floor? Help with Process Development for Dressings, Sauce, Dips Plant USDA and pork broth USDA inspected products Pathogen Testing in a meat processing plant HACCP Guidance Plant Based Protein Meat Alternatives. USDA notification Withdrawals Packaging of pre cook chicken already approved by USDA