What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Standards for wearing of beard and moustache covers

Started by , Dec 03 2015 03:57 PM
13 Replies

My plant is SQF certified. I am looking for rules on beard and moustche covers from FSSC 22000 and BRC. If someone could please help me in finding this information. Also, do other facilities wear them over the nose or under?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Pallet treatment standards for a food facility EU and USFDA standards for residual disinfectant levels HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards
[Ad]

If you have facial hair - wear one! It doesn't matter so much if it's under or over the nose as long as it covers the hair. It's a matter of personal comfort.

The challenge comes in deciding how much facial hair is enough to require one. We all have our opinions, but I would suggest that if it's enough to be styled or trimmed, then they must wear a snood.

I agree. But does the code for BRC or FSSC say anything about hair. it is easiers for me to point out if i have a code to go by. From an FDA standpoint it is very vague. 

BRC 7 does.7.4.2 Protective Clothing includes snoods for beards and moustaches, where required, to prevent contamination.

1 Thank

Thank you very much. Do you know anything about FSSC 22000?

No. My experience is BRC only. I'm sure someone else can answer.

ISO 22002-1 (a PRP portion of the FSSC 22000) requires complete covering of all facial hair:

section: 13.4 Workwear and protective clothing:

"Hair, beards, and moustaches shall be protected (i.e. completely enclosed) by restraints unless hazard analysis indicates otherwise."

Hope this helps.

Jelena

1 Like1 Thank

I am sorry Jelena, I just noticed this response. Thank you very much.

So true! I agree with this statement- If you have facial hair - wear one! It doesn't matter so much if it's under or over the nose as long as it covers the hair. It's a matter of personal comfort. The standards for wearing beard and mustache covers should be followed sincerely. As the food requires protection and a certification this is necessary. But if enhanced with useful sources, beard cream to make it manageable, beard can be settled well. I genuinely believe that- yes, beards being in trend, man is grooming the beards in different styles like short and long beard. So its important to have a cover as a protection because of food safety.

BRC 7 does.7.4.2 Protective Clothing includes snoods for beards and moustaches, where required, to prevent contamination.

How would you define "where required"? 

I am struggling with defining this

How would you define "where required"? 

I am struggling with defining this

As per BRC FS (now issue 8) 7.4.2: "...where, required, to prevent product contamination"

IG: "snoods must be provided for staff of visitors who have beards or moustaches, where production is needed to prevent contamination, Clear rules must be in place and understood by staff, based on an assessment of the company".

Essentially, if someone's facial hair can potentially contaminate the product, they must wear suitable PPE. Usually this is in open food areas and storage, though I'd recommend you do an assessment of your specific process and facility to define the zones and controls.

My favorite standard has always been "if I can rip one of your hairs out with my fingers, it needs to be covered".

It's fun because if anyone wants to argue I get to rip out a chin hair.  :lol2:

7.4.2 Protective clothing shall be available that:
• is provided in sufficient numbers for each employee
• is of suitable design to prevent contamination of the product (as a minimum containing no external
pockets above the waist or sewn-on buttons)
• fully contains all scalp hair to prevent product contamination
includes snoods for beards and moustaches, where required, to prevent product contamination.(If he has hair in his beard only)

My favorite standard has always been "if I can rip one of your hairs out with my fingers, it needs to be covered".

I too do the same but i just say if i can hold it on my nails then you must remove 

Similar Discussion Topics
Pallet treatment standards for a food facility EU and USFDA standards for residual disinfectant levels HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards RTD Coffee Processing Standards Shelf Life Standards Lastest AIB standards BRC Site Standards Reference Standards for Glass Bottle Manufacturing