What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Expired product disposal - soy oil / wheat germ

Started by , Jan 08 2016 03:16 PM
4 Replies

Located in the Kansas City area:

We have a soy oil / wheat germ product and I am looking for disposal options for expired product. I think this would be ideal for livestock feed. Anyone have any ideas in the KC area?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Consuming Expired Products How to evaluate expired inventory to prove they are good to use? How can I dispose of expired agar? Is it ok to give expired frozen food to staff? SOP for Handling of Expired Raw Materials
[Ad]
Hi Ganderson,

Disposing of your expired product might seem like a logical action be careful. This practice has come under increasing scrutiny by FDAand USDA in recent years due to the potential for harming the animals being fed the product as well as the potential of unsafe meat products resulting from contamination. During a regulatory inspection you'll likely be asked what happens when a disposition decision ismade is transfer of out of spec product going to a farm or ranch an option, and if you say it is you'll likely be asked if you've validated the product as being safe for the feeding of animals raised for consumption (or dairy and eggs in addition).

Regards,
esquef
1 Like1 Thank

Good advice Esquef.

Seems like a waste, but not worth the risk.

1 Thank

We have batter waste.  There is a local farmer who is running a bio-reactor to sell electricity back to grid.  We aren't making much, but he is removing it for free.

We have batter waste.  There is a local farmer who is running a bio-reactor to sell electricity back to grid.  We aren't making much, but he is removing it for free.

This wouldn't pose risk to the food supply chain so if you're saving money on disposal costs I'd have to think that it's a win - win situation.

Similar Discussion Topics
Consuming Expired Products How to evaluate expired inventory to prove they are good to use? How can I dispose of expired agar? Is it ok to give expired frozen food to staff? SOP for Handling of Expired Raw Materials How to revalidate Expired Oil? Expired Calibration Certificates What are the FDA guidelines on expired Best Buy date for chocolate? Testing needed on expired ingredients to determine if they are fit for use? Is it safe to freeze fresh meat or fresh chicken that has nearly expired?