What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Clause 4.16 Dispatch and Transportation

Started by , Jan 15 2016 01:21 PM
8 Replies

Hi All,

We are attampting our first BRC audit soon and I have stuck with the transportation requirements. 

I got from hauliers a formal agreement. None of them are certified. Do I need to send a questionnaire to fill in?

And if yes, do you have an example to start with?

Many thanks,

Petra

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF Clause 5.2.1 - Artwork customer approval BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? Clause 8.5.1.2 - Characteristics of raw materials, ingredients and product contact materials FSSC 22000 Clause 2.5.1 - Management of Services and Purchased Materials
[Ad]

Hi All,

We are attampting our first BRC audit soon and I have stuck with the transportation requirements. 

I got from hauliers a formal agreement. None of them are certified. Do I need to send a questionnaire to fill in?

And if yes, do you have an example to start with?

Many thanks,

Petra

Based on the standard, if you are handling transport internally, all you need is documentation and records showing you are doing what the standard says to do.

However, if you have third party haulers, you need to make sure the formal agreement includes everything in clause 4.16 that applies to your company (and you should probably include things that don't apply to your company for added measure). I can tell you in my experience, that haulers tend to be afraid to sign these documents (even though you probably do all of those things already), but you will need the agreements if you use third party haulers.

QAGB

Also don't forget to include supporting documentation/records for sanitation etc. I find the easiest thing to do is actually give them copies of my in-house procedures & forms to duplicate,especially if they don't have their own, and cover all necessary requirements. 

My standard says for each 3rd party delivery, a copy of the requirements should be supplied, so I just print them at the back of any delivery forms I use & have the driver sign them to validate this. 

2 Thanks

This is the list of my requirements if that helps. Printed behind delivery notes etc. 

product handling 3rd party.xlsx   11.03KB   242 downloadsThis is the list of my requirements if that helps. Printed behind delivery notes etc. 

2 Thanks

Thanks for your input! 

It was very helpful!

Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to piggyback off this topic, but I also have a question regarding this clause.

If the customer is the one who is paying for and choosing a carrier do we still need the inspection, and supplier agreements for their chosen carrier?

Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to piggyback off this topic, but I also have a question regarding this clause.

If the customer is the one who is paying for and choosing a carrier do we still need the inspection, and supplier agreements for their chosen carrier?

Strictly speaking, it may depend on the Incoterm against which you're selling the product - selling EXW you're not contractually responsible for the loading element, so that would be the customer's responsibility.

In a practical sense it's likely that you'll be loading, or at least assisting with the loading, whatever Incoterm is used, and the food safety element is somewhat removed from that anyway - doesn't matter who pays for the transport if it's unsuitable and you're the only party who is actually in a position to determine than. You'll therefore want to ensure you're meeting clauses 4.16.1 through 4.16.5.

4.16.6 won't apply, and similarly neither would 3.5.3.1/3.5.3.2 in this context, as the transport provider isn't your supplier - those obligations would sit with your customer.

Hello,

When I worked in food, our inspection policy applied to any carriers whether we or the customer chose the transport option. If we felt the vehicle was unsuitable for product, we rejected the vehicle. The only time we would load a customer's vehicle is if they submitted a written letter to state that they approved and accepted all liability for the condition of the vehicle and its contents. 

As to having contractual supplier agreements, I agree with pHruit, as the supplier agreements for a customer's chosen carrier would be the customer's responsibility.

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF Clause 5.2.1 - Artwork customer approval BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? Clause 8.5.1.2 - Characteristics of raw materials, ingredients and product contact materials FSSC 22000 Clause 2.5.1 - Management of Services and Purchased Materials BRCGS clause 3.5 BRCGS Clause 3.7.5 - Supply Chain Traceability FSSC 22000 Clause 2.5.7 - Environmental Monitoring Programme Addressing clause 6.1 and clause 8.1 in ISO 22000:2018 BRCGS issue 9 Clause 1.1.3 - Food Safety and Quality Objectives