What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Nylon Cutting Boards

Started by , Mar 21 2016 03:27 PM
4 Replies

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me.

Our maintenance department have purchased some nylon cutting table tops from a local supplier. I am not confident that they are suitable for cutting food on. The only information I can get from my technical support is do they conform to Regulations (EC) 1935/2004?

Can anyone explain to me in quite simple terms what I need to be looking for, is it as simple as looking for a standard stamp??

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Cleaning of nylon brushes used for food packing equipment? Cleaning of nylon brushes used for food packing equipment? Testing % of Nylon In Film
[Ad]

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me.

Our maintenance department have purchased some nylon cutting table tops from a local supplier. I am not confident that they are suitable for cutting food on. The only information I can get from my technical support is do they conform to Regulations (EC) 1935/2004?

Can anyone explain to me in quite simple terms what I need to be looking for, is it as simple as looking for a standard stamp??

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

May i ask what product is to be cut on them ? Fish ?

Hi Charles,

We cut meat mainly Poultry and Porcine products...

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

This is a rather congested/contested product market. I forgot to ask what you are going to replace it for  - Wood ?

From a documented FS POV, one unchallengeable criterion is that the board should be Food Grade, eg -

http://www.eplastics...e-cutting-board

http://www.directpla...o.uk/hdpe-sheet

From googling i get the impression that "Nylon" sometimes = HDPE

My experience is only with HDPE/Seafood where the board sanitary quality versus wood is still debated. In fact one can get food grade wooden boards -

http://www.nisbets.c...c03c01c04.r12.1

You may need a litttle more product info. to make any meaningful judgement.

PS - i am assuming that (labelled) Food Grade items do exist in UK ?

I think Charles is correct, most chopping boards that I have come across are Polyethylene based. Many also no incorporate a range of anti-bacterial additives.

EC1935/2004 is the 'framework' food contact legislation. As they are plastic, they should comply with the more specific EU10/2011.If your local supplier is selling them as cutting boards for food, he is responsible for ensuring that they meet the requirements and he should also provide you with a Declaration of Compliance to EU10/2011. This may mean that he (or his supplier) has to undertake migration testing. The Declaration has a legally defined format and is not a simple one-liner. It is laid out in Annex iv of 10/2011.

They should also be made under GMP principles defined by EU2023/2006.

In terms of how you can check, it is not easy without this Declaration. It is possible that they have been stamped with the 'glass and fork' symbol but I have never seen this. It is fairly common for the statement to be made on accompanying paperwork or packaging but this has a habit of being lost over time.

My advice would be to ask them to provide a Declaration if they haven't done so. These boards are not cheap and I think it is not unreasonable to expect the supplier to provide what he is legally obliged to do.

Auditors frequently ask for this evidence.

Good Luck

2 Thanks

Similar Discussion Topics
Cleaning of nylon brushes used for food packing equipment? Cleaning of nylon brushes used for food packing equipment? Testing % of Nylon In Film